Ron Borges - Draft Genius!

  • Mark/JW
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
      Picked this from Hawg #73, a poster on KFFL message
      board:

      On a day when they could have had impact players David
      Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in
      the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia
      defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last
      season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play
      tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This
      genius move was followed by trading out of a spot
      where they could have gotten the last decent receiver
      in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light,
      who will not help any time soon. - Ron Borges, MSNBC
      after 2001 Draft.

    • George R
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
        ***** Great find, Mark! Borges is such a dunce. What is most disturbing to me is that his totally transparent vendetta against BB is allowed, by the Globe, to continue. It renders him incompetent at his job. The only reason for the Globe to keep him in print is because of the controversy he creates with his outrageous opinions, and, all too frequently, blatant lies. It's all about selling papers. He is, after all, a columnist, not a reporter. The problem is that, since he also reports facts on games, etc., the lines become blurred in the sports section, so many readers take his words as fact.

        Mark/JW <packy001@...> wrote:
        Picked this from Hawg #73, a poster on KFFL message
        board:

        On a day when they could have had impact players David
        Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in
        the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia
        defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last
        season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play
        tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This
        genius move was followed by trading out of a spot
        where they could have gotten the last decent receiver
        in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light,
        who will not help any time soon. - Ron Borges, MSNBC
        after 2001 Draft.

        ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
      • Bill Beaulac
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
          From: "David Brunat" <brewgnat@...>

          > I love it when someone digs up a stupid analysis
          > such as this. These guys write anything they
          > want without regard for accuracy and use an
          > attitude that makes you think they know more than
          > the coaches. Good find. Makes you think that
          > anything he writes is suspect.

          Well, I think that something needs to be said about
          sports writers, in general. First of all, we know Borges
          doesn't like Belichick, for whatever reason. We also
          know that a LOT of people, myself included, have
          vocally disagreed with BB's draft moves soon after
          they were made. We wrote/spoke our views in a public
          area much the same as Borges, or any other writer, did.
          They were opinions, speculation, and biases on all our
          parts. I read (and listen to) sports columnists for entertainment
          purposes. Don't you folks? How much enjoyment would there
          be in reading the sports pages if a) they were only 100% facts,
          b) we were in full agreement with those facts, and c) no room was
          left for opining and discussion? Would we prefer that all articles
          and reporting leading up to THIS years draft were merely an
          analytical summation of drafts from 4 years ago based solely
          upon statistical results? What fun would the annual Bama draft
          contest be if we all thought the same way? What if we held the
          draft contest on May 1st so we could all get our facts straight?
          These columnists jobs are to peak fan interest, sell newspapers,
          and radio/TV time. Borges, Ryan, Clayton, Kyper, Prisco, or any
          number of other sports writers (ourselves included) would fall on
          deaf ears if everyone were in agreement with what was written/said.
          What a boring sports world it would be . . .

          -bill [ PATS 12 ]
        • Joseph Theban