Traylor to replace Washington

  • rogue35lk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      By Len Pasquarelli
      ESPN.com

      Not to worry, New England Patriots fans, at least those who fretted
      over the free agency defection of prized nose tackle Ted Washington
      to the Oakland Raiders.

      The dogged personnel department that never seems to sleep promised a
      replacement and on Wednesday afternoon delivered, signing free agent
      defensive tackle Keith Traylor to a contract, details of which were
      not immediately available. The 12-year veteran essentially will
      replace Washington in the middle of the 3-4 defense that coach Bill
      Belichick prefers.

      Ironically, Traylor and Washington played together for two seasons
      with the Bears and provided Chicago with two mammoth interior run
      stuffers.

      Traylor, 34, might not be quite as effective as Washington, one of
      the NFL's premier big men and a defender whose tackle totals always
      belied his value, but the Pats coaches feel he can still be a solid
      player if his snaps are maximized.

      The former Central State (Okla.) star, like Washington, regularly
      commands double-team blocking and generally keeps offensive linemen
      away from linebackers. His acquisition, likely for a modest
      contract, is typical of the kind of additions the Patriots have
      become so adroit at making under Belichick and personnel boss Scott
      Pioli.

      While it doesn't seem that significant, if Traylor is healthy, his
      presence will be a big plus for the defending Super Bowl champions.
      It will enable the Patriots to be flexible again in their tricky
      defensive fronts and means the team will not have to force some
      youngsters, like 2003 first-rounder Ty Warren, into the lineup.

      Last season, Traylor started and played in 10 games, missing six
      contests after having an arthroscopic procedure on his right knee.
      He had 18 tackles, four of them for losses, and a forced fumble.

      Traylor originally entered the NFL as a third-round pick of the
      Denver Broncos in 1991, and at that point, he played linebacker. He
      grew, over time, into a tackle and, when he has been healthy, has
      been a stout run defender.

      He has started in 107 of his 171 appearances in stints with Denver
      (1991-92 and 1997-2000), Green Bay (1993), Kansas City (1993-96) and
      Chicago (2001-2003). Traylor has 427 tackles, 13 sacks, 11 forced
      fumbles and three recoveries.

      *** I'm just curious, Traylor currently is listed as 340 lbs, what
      did he weigh in '91 to be drafted as a Linebacker?
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        Ron Borges of the Boston Globe (Boston.com) is reporting that the Pats
        have negatioated a deal with Detroit. It would send both first round
        picks, a second, and a fourth to the Lions for their #6 pick overall,
        and a fourth. This is contingent upon the player that the Pats want
        being available at that time. No, it's not Jackson or Fitzgerald. They
        are supposedly looking for U. of Miami safety Sean Taylor. The
        conjecture is, move Wilson back to corner, and pair Taylor (another
        big hitter) with Harrison. Hmm, where does that leave you, Mr. Law.

      • Joseph Theban
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2004
          Belichick denied the trade (fortunately).  That would be a STUPID trade for the Pats.  I'd tell Mariucci/Millen where to stuff it.

          Do you Yahoo!?