Of Corners and Safeties...

  • Randy Z Pierce
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
      Who are the starting cornerbacks for your New England Patriots?  Ty Law is highly likely to be back holding down one position.  Is Tyrone Poole the other?  He had a very good regular season although he did strggle in the playoffs.  Was his season play an anomoly or was the playoff the anomoly?  I'm happy to have him start if the latter but I've got some concerns.  Samuels showed some promise but at present has more concern than Poole.  Last year in the preseason we had the fortune to watch Wilson and Samuel man the corner almost exclusively and this both aided their development and gave promise.  I expect both to improve.  Still there is question at one corner.

      At safety there isn't much doubt Rodney will be back in full health and well handling the strong safety position.  Wilson was very good throughout the regular season.  His hits were the highlights of the secondary which says a huge amount with Rodney back there.  He showed strong promise and although there were a few games (Indy x2) and the playoffs in which he fell to Earth a bit, he could very well handle the position in the future.  The question is this, if you believe Wilson to be a better starting cornerback than Poole or Samuels and you have a top notch safety fall to you at a reasonable draft pric, do you make that move?

      Personally I'd be comfortable either way but I hope we use our high picks to fill out the holes which do not get addressed in free agency.  For this I have your opinion fairly high in that I'd love to see us get a High Quality NT...*IF* one of worth is still on the board when we have the right value pick.  We don't HAVE to have it such that we need to select at an impproper time or fail to fill  another high need by moving picks the wrong way.  I trust BB and Pioli entirely and I'm curious to see how they'll evaluate the Corner/safety dilemma - which is really just a corner dilema at present.

      Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 7:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [patriotzip] New Trade Rumor

      If all of the players, especially the defensive players, turned out to be quality starters, I'd be very happy with that draft!

      Mark/JW <packy001@...> wrote:
      I just made this one up myself!

      If the player BB wants at #21 is not available, the
      patriots trade out of the 1st round (to Denver) for
      their two second round selections (#47 from Washington
      and #55). Thats six selections in the top 100. Here
      is what you very reasonably could get!

      #32 RB Greg Jones, Chris Perry. Michael Turner
      #47 OL Vernon Carey or Chris Snee
      #55 WR Devery Henderson
      #57 NT Isaac Sopoaga or Igor Olshansky
      #63 DE Tank Johnson
      #95 DB Greg Brooks or Jeremy Leseur

      I am totally against trding up this year, especially
      for a FS.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Joseph Theban
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
        I agree that corner is a strong need.  Law is 30, Poole is over 30, and there's no guarantee that either Samuel or Wilson is a quality starter at corner.  Given that, I hope we draft one in the first 2 rounds.  It's supposed to be a deep year for corners, so maybe one will be available in the 2nd round.

        I'm sorry to sound like such a pain - it's just very frustrating to hear about offense all of the time.  In other Pats chat rooms, nobody seems to mention defense at all.  In 2001, all I heard about was David Terrell.  I wanted a defensive tackle (who turned out to be Seymour).  I think that worked out well for us.

        My "evidence" for receiver not being that important comes from the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Bucs - all great defensive teams without a truly great receiver.  All 3 not only won the Super Bowl, all 3 won the Super Bowl by at least 27 points.

        #32 RB Greg Jones, Chris Perry. Michael Turner
        #47 OL Vernon Carey or Chris Snee
        #55 WR Devery Henderson
        #57 NT Isaac Sopoaga or Igor Olshansky
        #63 DE Tank Johnson
        #95 DB Greg Brooks or Jeremy Leseur

        I am totally against trding up this year, especially
        for a FS.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Yahoo! Search - Find what you뭨e looking for faster.

        Do you Yahoo!?