Re: [patriotzip] Ted Washington

  • Randy Z Pierce
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2004
      I'm vastly in agreement with you save for the exasperation of fellow fans not falling in with your confident belief system.  There is no doubt our ability to play a 3-4 is hinged upon a quality Nose Tackle although whether this must be the stud of the defense is in considerable debate.  It's interesting to note we gave up more yards on the ground WITH Washington in 12 games than without him for 7.  This was pointed out on the Bosco list but stats can say many things.  In 2001 we won without a marquee NT and did employ some 3-4.  This year it was rare without TW.  I'd love to get a quality NT but I believe a serviceable option is acceptable.  Will it limit us?  As surely as having only Kevin Faulk at RB will limit us.  The ultimate team sport is football and it requires a skillfull tactician to balance the array of talent provided in order to mold a champion.  In 2001 we were the best TEAM but were not the most talented team.  In 2003 (obviously IMO on both counts) we were the most talented team and the best TEAM.

      Zip
      Prefers football analogies for his football though :)