Re: Negotiations and Options

  • Doug Penney
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      No, its not 1972. I think I also said take the draft picks because
      we have Belichick/Pioli to make smart draft choices. However, anyone
      getting Portis had him at league minimum for 2 years before his
      rookie contract was up. The 'Skins didn't need to give him that huge
      contract and Portis even admitted that he couldn't do a holdout so
      its not really a bad trade in the short term for such a young back.
      Portis is 22, 23? He's got a few good years ahead of him before the
      size issue becomes too prevelant...

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Theban <jtheban@y...> wrote:
      > I worry A LOT about running backs who aren't 220 pounds or heavier
      (especially in New England in the Winter). After all, this isn't
      1972.

      > Doug Penney <kalastos@y...> wrote:For other teams I would say make
      the trade for Portis but given the
      > success that Belichick/Pioli have had with from the draft I'd
      rather
      > keep draft picks.
      >
      > Doug
      >

      > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Z Pierce" <alaric02@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > I'd rather have Law and draft picks than Portis. I think part of
      > Portis is the system and line although I don't deny he's a quality
      > back. I think a workable back for this team is easier to find than
      > shut down corner. I'm liking much about this team but sometimes I
      > just want to get to the season....

      Service.