Negotiations and Options

  • Mark/JW
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 5:27 AM
      Everyone please relax ... This is negoatiations and
      sometimes during negotiations players feelings get
      hurt.

      Here is how I see it ...

      The Patriots came in with a rediculous contract
      proposal because they new that the Poston Bros and Ty
      Law's demands were just as perposterous.

      There is a middle ground here where both the team amd
      the player / agents will benefit.

      1. Ty Law is 30, in a few years he will not be as
      good as he is today. He very well may play at this
      high level for a few more years, but his skills will
      drop off with age.

      2. Allow his agents to try and work out a deal for
      law before the draft. If we were to try and trade Law
      to any of the "15 teams that are interested", I don't
      feel we would get a 1st round pick in return, because
      of his age.

      3. The Poston Bros. stand to gain financially as soon
      as Law signs a new deal (like they did with Milloy).
      If Law and his agents truly want to be traded /
      released, then have the agent pay the price of his
      release, since they are the ones that will gain
      financially, not necessarily the player.

      4. We can have Law for one more year under his
      current contract, which Ty says he is happy with. The
      following year is a different story.

      I find it curious that Law gave his story to the
      Boston Globe and shut out everyone else when he
      clammed up and wouldn't speak afterwards to any other
      media outlets. Is Michael Smith now a mouthpiece for
      the Poston Bros, or at the very least being used by
      the agents? I think it shows no class when Law
      negotiates in the media.

      Law will not lose any money over the next two years
      whether he is playing for the Patriots or not. The
      question is whether he really wants to be here or does
      he just want the respect of being the highest paid
      player at his position.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
    • Chowdahhead
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 6:19 AM
        The Patriots have won their last 2 superbowls by placing the teams
        needs ahead of any individuals needs (I.E. Lawyer Milloy)

        Ty needs to ask himself what is more important to him..winning
        championships or being the highest paid at his position. Maybe since
        he has played into the team concept and gotten his 2 rings his
        motivation has changed!

        If Ty's biggest 'need' is to become the highest paid cornerback in
        order to earn the 'respect' of his peers then he may need
        to find a new home!

        I hope a middle ground can be reached but its a bad sign when
        negotiations start out in the fishwraps cuz they can take on a life
        of their own and nothing ever good comes out of it!!

      • beaulac@charter.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 7:26 AM

          > From: Mark/JW <packy001@...>
          >
          > 1. Ty Law is 30, in a few years he will not be as
          > good as he is today. He very well may play at this
          > high level for a few more years, but his skills will
          > drop off with age.

          The thing is that with Law, like several
          great corners, plays the type of game that
          doesn't require speed as the main talent.
          I like the word "skills" because that describes
          Laws play to a tee. The man knows coverage!!!
          Plus, Law is in the PERFECT defense to let
          him use his skills if/when they do demish a
          bit.

          > 2. Allow his agents to try and work out a deal for
          > law before the draft. If we were to try and trade Law
          > to any of the "15 teams that are interested", I don't
          > feel we would get a 1st round pick in return, because
          > of his age.

          We might get a low 1st rounder from the
          right team. I wonder what the Skins would
          do if they lose/trade Bailey?

          > 4. We can have Law for one more year under his
          > current contract, which Ty says he is happy with. The
          > following year is a different story.

          I think that the Pats should keep Law
          for this season, regardless of the cap
          ramnifications . . . at least for now.

          > Law will not lose any money over the next two years
          > whether he is playing for the Patriots or not. The
          > question is whether he really wants to be here or does
          > he just want the respect of being the highest paid
          > player at his position.

          Or, being in a business, does Law just
          want to make the most finacially sound
          decision. Remember, Ty Law is looking
          out for his, and his family's best
          interest.

          -bill
        • George R
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 8:06 AM
            Mark/JW <packy001@...> wrote:

            2.  Allow his agents to try and work out a deal for
            law before the draft.  If we were to try and trade Law
            to any of the "15 teams that are interested", I don't
            feel we would get a 1st round pick in return, because
            of his age

            ***** Mark, Tony Bruno reported this morning that there is a rumor coming out of D.C. that the Skins are working on a trade with the Pats that would send Portis (after they get him from Denver) to NE for Law plus a couple of draft picks. Only a rumor, at this point, but it doesn't seem out of the question to me.

            ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
          • George R
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 8:51 AM
              Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...> wrote:

              Weird. Not sure what I think about that deal. I'd rather us use a couple
              draft picks on backs than trade Ty.

              ***** Why, Chris? Portis is a proven top shelf NFL RB. No draft pick is a 'lock'. (See Kijana Carter, Larry Johnson, etc.). As has been noted, there are several quality CBs in the FA market, and as many good CB prospects as RBs in the draft.

              ***** If the money works out better for the Pats cap situation, I'd be happy with such a deal.

              ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
            • Randy Z Pierce
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2 3:30 AM
                I'd rather have Law and draft picks than Portis.  I think part of Portis is the system and line although I don't deny he's a quality back.  I think a workable back for this team is easier to find than a shut down corner.  I'm liking much about this team but sometimes I just want to get to the season....

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2 5:21 AM
                  For other teams I would say make the trade for Portis but given the
                  success that Belichick/Pioli have had with from the draft I'd rather
                  keep draft picks.

                  Doug

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Z Pierce" <alaric02@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > I'd rather have Law and draft picks than Portis. I think part of
                  Portis is the system and line although I don't deny he's a quality
                  back. I think a workable back for this team is easier to find than a
                  shut down corner. I'm liking much about this team but sometimes I
                  just want to get to the season....

                  Service.
                • Joseph Theban
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2 5:49 PM
                    I worry A LOT about running backs who aren't 220 pounds or heavier (especially in New England in the Winter).  After all, this isn't 1972.

                    wrote:
                    > I'd rather have Law and draft picks than Portis.  I think part of
                    Portis is the system and line although I don't deny he's a quality
                    back.  I think a workable back for this team is easier to find than a
                    shut down corner.  I'm liking much about this team but sometimes I
                    just want to get to the season....

                    Service.

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Doug Penney
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3 6:40 AM
                      No, its not 1972. I think I also said take the draft picks because
                      we have Belichick/Pioli to make smart draft choices. However, anyone
                      getting Portis had him at league minimum for 2 years before his
                      rookie contract was up. The 'Skins didn't need to give him that huge
                      contract and Portis even admitted that he couldn't do a holdout so
                      its not really a bad trade in the short term for such a young back.
                      Portis is 22, 23? He's got a few good years ahead of him before the
                      size issue becomes too prevelant...

                      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Theban <jtheban@y...> wrote:
                      > I worry A LOT about running backs who aren't 220 pounds or heavier
                      (especially in New England in the Winter). After all, this isn't
                      1972.

                      > Doug Penney <kalastos@y...> wrote:For other teams I would say make
                      the trade for Portis but given the
                      > success that Belichick/Pioli have had with from the draft I'd
                      rather
                      > keep draft picks.
                      >
                      > Doug
                      >

                      > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Z Pierce" <alaric02@s...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I'd rather have Law and draft picks than Portis. I think part of
                      > Portis is the system and line although I don't deny he's a quality
                      > back. I think a workable back for this team is easier to find than
                      > shut down corner. I'm liking much about this team but sometimes I
                      > just want to get to the season....

                      Service.