Walter vs. Kinchen

  • Mark/JW
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
      I agree with you. Kinchen was horrendous and I said
      so to George after reminding him that Walter had two
      kicks inside the 20 and an 50 yarder.

      Kinchen was also at fault for the 1st Vinatieri miss.
      Walter did a remarkable job of catching the errant
      snap and pulling it across his body. He got the ball
      down, but I don't think it was in the right place,
      thus casing the FG attempt to fly wide.

      --- rockmaul74@... wrote:
      > ken walter saved horrible snaps from kinchen on
      > punts and field goals that
      > could have been disastorous (i.e. points for the
      > panthers) so lets cut him a
      > little slack? jeesh

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • George R
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004

        Mark/JW <packy001@...> wrote:

        I agree with you.  Kinchen was horrendous and I said
        so to George after reminding him that Walter had two
        kicks inside the 20 and an 50 yarder.

        Kinchen was also at fault for the 1st Vinatieri miss.
        Walter did a remarkable job of catching the errant
        snap and pulling it across his body.  He got the ball
        down, but I don't think it was in the right place,
        thus casing the FG attempt to fly wide.

        ***** Well, Mark. I still contend that 2 punts of less than 20 yards, both of which followed good snaps, BTW, is simply not acceptable in any NFL game, let alone the Super Bowl. The fact that he had 3 good ones out of 5 does not make him an acceptable NFL punter, IMO. This isn't baseball. Hitting .400 is not a satisfactory achievement for a punter. Ken Walter sucks, and I put replacing him high on the list of priorities for next season.

        ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
      • Steve Basile
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
          Re: [patriotzip] Walter vs. Kinchen On 2/4/04 15:38, "George R" <patsfangr@...> wrote:

          Mark/JW <packy001@...> wrote:
[...]

          I LOVE George's take on Ken.  I agree—I've believed it for a while, and the embarrassment of the Indy dome kicks (AVERAGING 27 yards inside!) clinched it for me.  George, if you're ever in Austin I'd be pleased to buy you a pint.

          This is a guy who was paid handsomely.  What a waste.  As the season started, "
          According to the NFLPA salary search feature (http://www.nflpa.org/members/playerProfile.asp?ID=24867), here were Walter's base salaries: $700,000 (2002); $725,000 (2003); $800,000 (2004); $900,000 (2005); $1,000,000 (2006). "
          He restructured his salary to $530K and made the difference a "signing bonus" for cap purposes.  But  "
          When the Patriots waived Ken Walter on December 2, they caused the remaining portion of Walter's unamortized signing bonus ($360,000) to hit the 2004 cap as a "dead money" hit."  Even his restructured salary is more than $500k this year--he is expensive AND bad.    His horrible season stats are here: http://www.nflplayers.com/players_network/players_network.asp?strSection=stats&ID=24867

          He is a liability on the field, so should be an ASSet on the bench.  Someone else's bench ASAP.

          Anybody But Ken,

          Baze
          --

          Steve Basile
          Manager

        • rob.bosch@rcn.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
            I'm with ya George! I sat there for most of the game with
            this sense of dread. I kept saying to myself...the Pats got
            away with having a crappy punter for a whole year...but it's
            going to catch up with them tonight. Thankfully I was wrong.
            But I don't ever want to see that guy come trotting out onto
            the field again, unless it's for another team. Ken (The
            Nose) must go!!!

            -Rob

          • rockmaul74@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2004
              do we ever stop being negative around here? why do we always wait for doom to envelop us? the patriots are not the freaking red sox