"The Stand"

  • George R
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      ***** I submit that this would go directly into the the file of greatest NFL efforts of all time, had it happened in a playoff game. It would rank right up there with: The Immaculate Reception; The Drive; The Catch; The Ice Bowl TD; The Alan Ameche TD; and, yes, The Tuck. We all know what it did to us in this situation. Just imagine how you would have reacted, assuming that you maintained consciousness, if that had been a playoff game!

      ***** As it is, it will doubtless be forgotten by all but we Pats fans, who will certainly have it forever on the 2003 highlight tape. Colts fans will even forget it, because they'll almost certainly still make the playoffs, even if only as a Wild Card. But I don't think I'll ever forget it. The great camera work done by TV these days left us with indelible images of the high/low hit by Bruschi and Wilson on 1st down; the Great Wall of Washington stuffing half of the Colts OL on 2nd down; the stiff shot by Ty Poole to destroy the fade pattern on 3rd down; and the body blow, left hook for the knockout by TW and Willie on 4th down. I'll be re-running those plays in my head for years to come. No tape or TiVo required, thank you. What a finish!