Let Me Get That Door For You, Antowain

  • George R
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      "Veteran halfback Antowain Smith is inactive with head coach
      Bill Belichick reportedly preferring to go with the quicker Kevin Faulk
      and Mike Cloud on the carpeted concrete in Indy."

      ***** The biggest surprise of the off-season for me would be if we don't acquire a quality big RB - whether in the draft, or via trade. Smith is done here. He has just never been able to grasp the fact that he is only effective when he takes the handoff, puts his head down, and hits directly into the assigned hole at full speed - no hesitation; no baby steps; no side steps; and absolutely, positively, no shoulder turn. When he runs that way, he can be dangerous. When he runs with those latter "moves", he is totally useless.

      ***** We need a guy who'll hit the hole without hesitation, get through it quickly, and make that one move to into the secondary for big yardage now and then. And he should be powerful enough to make a hole for at least a couple of yards if it isn't there.

      ***** Meanwhile, Kevin Faulk is the best RB on this team, and he's good enough to continue to be a major contributor for us, even when we get the RB described above.

      ***** BTW, if Mike Cloud had the frame to carry another 20-25 pounds, without losing any quickness, I think he'd be fantastic. I love his running style and level of effort. Unfortunately, I don't think he can do that. He has to remain a spot guy.