Re: Phil Simms on the Pats (Long)

  • George The Patsfan
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 20, 2001
      ***** I still say that, if Drew doesn't go to Houston in the Expansion Draft
      (my first preference), we're probably best served to keep him for at least
      one more season. Regardless of which of them, Drew or Brady, is our starter,
      we'll have two proven NFL QBs, and we'll be getting something of value for
      our $6M of cap space. I just don't think we can get equal value in a trade
      for Drew, because I don't see how we could afford to pay a player(s) of
      equal value if we still have that $6M on the books.

      ***** If Brady continues to play well next season, then we can trade Drew,
      with much less of a cap penalty.

      George

      From: PhilW1776@...
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, patriots@...
      Subject: Phil Simms on the Pats (Long)
      Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:56:00 EST

      Great article that accurately captures the style and philosophy of the team
      and its coaching staff. Simms' insightful comments on the coachability of
      Brady and the similarity of style to Gannon speaks VOLUMES. Anyone here
      still maintain that my man BB is gonna go with Drew next year?

      -philw (the prosecution rests)

      Patriots a different team
      By Phil Simms
      Special to NFL.com

      (Dec. 19, 2001) -- For the second successive week, the Miami Dolphins will
      have a short week to prepare for a tough road game. They followed a big
      Monday night victory against the Colts two weeks ago with a tough loss at
      San Francisco. Now they will travel to New England for a Saturday game that
      could decide the AFC East title.

      It's not exactly a playoff game, because the losing team will still be in
      the hunt. But it's close.

      Miami's confidence level had to take a hit last week, because they didn't
      play well on either side of the ball in that 21-0 loss to the 49ers.

      Now they face a New England team that is without a doubt one of the surprise
      teams of the season. Bill Belichick's squad is reminiscent of George Allen's
      old Washington Redskins teams -- a lot of older players, a lot of players
      that other teams didn't want.

      Who's the superstar on the Patriots? Do they have any? Name me one.

      I'm still listening.

      Most of the time, you can name an NFL team and three or four big names will
      jump out at you. When you think of the other top teams in the AFC, it's
      easy: Raiders? You think Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. Steelers? You think
      Jerome Bettis.

      But I never hear a name attached to the New England Patriots.

      Of course, the interesting thing about New England has been the success of
      quarterback Tom Brady. He didn't have any experience before this year, yet
      he's not making mistakes. And that's the key.

      When the coaches tell him, "Look here, look there, then throw it away," he
      does exactly that. A veteran quarterback, on the other hand, will look here,
      look there and then say, "Hell, I think I can still make something happen
      because I've done it before." And they go outside the system. And a lot of
      times that leads to mistakes.

      When I watch Brady play, not to be overdramatic, but he probably works the
      system -- does what the coaches ask of him -- about as well as any
      quarterback I've watched in the league. Two others that come to mind for me,
      quarterbacks that really don't stray away from the system, are Kordell
      Stewart and Rich Gannon.

      Brady has been well taught in his college career and his pro career. Being a
      young quarterback with his first chance to start in the NFL, he is
      performing as methodically as anyone I've seen in a long time. When you
      watch him play, you can tell. He is going from Point A to Point B, and
      there's no in-between. He's not sight-seeing anywhere in between, that's for
      sure. And it's worked for the football team.

      The Patriots are what I call a heavily coached team. They change a lot on
      defense -- techniques, reads -- every week. On offense they are willing to
      try new plays and gimmicks every single week. So they're putting a lot of
      time into the designing and thinking of it, and of course that takes a lot
      of preparation time, too. Which I know they're not short of in New England.

      The Patriots probably put as much time in the classroom and probably as much
      or more time on the practice field than anybody in the league.

      They're not one of those modern-day teams that believes in taking time off
      down the stretch to keep the players' legs fresh. They practice a lot. And
      that's a good thing.

      The human body can get used to it. The perfect example is Rice. In his last
      four years with the 49ers, he was often pulled out of practice late in the
      season, getting a lot of rest. But he said it hurt his play. This year with
      the Raiders, the 39-year-old Rice takes every repetition in practice. And
      he's a better player this year than he's been in years. I have to believe
      it's because of tremendous repetitions in practice.

      As it applies to the New England Patriots, my belief is that some teams pull
      back too much late in the season to the extent that it sometimes is a
      detriment to the team. Everybody's so worried about keeping their players
      fresh that they have lost some of the execution and toughness that you
      acquire by practicing.

      I think weather also will be a factor in this game. Miami practices
      year-round in the warmest climate in the NFL. It's an advantage for them
      when they play host a team in the heat and humidity, but it hurts them this
      time of year when they have to adapt to the colder weather up north. Even if
      it's mild in New England this weekend, it'll be cold for the Dolphins.

      That kind of weather affects the running backs, and in particular it affects
      the handling of the football by the skill players -- especially early in the
      game. We'll see how Miami adjusts.

      In addition to weather, New England enjoys a pretty good home-field edge.
      Patriots fans are very patient. They are an encouraging group of fans. If
      New England falls behind 10-0 early, they won't boo -- and that's a big
      deal. If it's 17-0, that's a different story. But they don't get negative on
      their team, and that's a tremendous positive. When the fans get going,
      players feel it and get an emotional edge from it.

      And emotion could play a key role in a game of this magnitude.

    • George The Patsfan
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 20, 2001
        ***** Plagerism, I say! Evidently, Ostend stole my notes on the Bledsoe
        situation, and whispered them in your ear! Never trust a young, beautiful
        blonde!

        George

        From: "PatriotZip" <patriotzip@...>
        To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [patriotzip] Re: Phil Simms on the Pats (Long)
        Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:49:42 -0000

        I am not so quick to write off Drew Bledsoe for a couple of reasons.
        I certainly wouldn't change from Brady at this point and I'm quite
        pleased (generally) with his performance. I expect *the team* and
        Brady to beat the Dolpins this Saturday. I expect him to play well
        and to end the TD slump. He might even beat Bledsoe out for the
        position because he does the right things well for this team.

        However, unless Bledsoe were exposed and taken in Expansion, I'd
        expect him to remain on the team for one more year as a minimum.
        Expansion would yield us an additional 6.3 Million in cap moeny.
        Very useful for this team - some of which might go to a Brady deal of
        course. If this did not happen, however, I cannot see how the dead
        cap money of a trade or cut would allow us to do anything useful. If
        you get NO benefit then why would you take away a solid QB in depth?
        Obviously there is some benefit - the trade 'items.' If they are
        comparable players, they would have big price tags. Picks? Even at
        a 1st round pick we get questionable return at a cap strapping cost.
        We also lose leverage and competition for Brady...

        Exceptions? Drew renegotiates to facillitate a trade cuz he wants to
        play...

      • George The Patsfan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 20, 2001
          From: Rob Bosch <rob.bosch@...>
          To: "'patriotzip@yahoogroups.com'" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: RE: [patriotzip] Re: Phil Simms on the Pats (Long)
          Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:22:06 -0500

          As for the dead money issue, I don't see it as a big deal. I'd rather trade
          Drew and get a pick for him, rather than have his money removed from the
          cap. If the Pats put him on the expansion list, for example, and
          Houstonpicked him up the Pats would save a lot of money on the cap...next
          year only! I'd rather get a pick for him...take the cap hit next year...but
          hopefully get a player that will perform well for the team for years to
          come.

          ***** I think you're overlooking the fact that we would be able to pick up
          at least one, if not two, quality players at other positions (WR/RB/LB/CB)
          with that cap space, Rob. Presumably, they would be able to perform well for
          us for years to come.

        • Rob Bosch
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 20, 2001
            Ah but that's where you are wrong. Bledsoe's contract is actually made up of
            3 parts. There is a deadline...in February I believe...in which the Pats
            have to decide whether the second part of the contract will kick in. If it
            does kick in, from everything I have read the cap hit will be much larger
            afterwards. For that reason the Pats must decide what they are going to do
            pretty quickly. Besides that, I just don't think it's right to have Bledsoe
            sit on the bench during the prime of his career. Yes I would love to have
            him as a backup...who wouldn't? But I just don't think it's fair to him, and
            I don't think it's a good business decision for the Pats either.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 20, 2001
              ***** I'm not sure how that works, Rob, but I do recall that you're right
              about some strange "deadline" issues. Certainly, if there's no significant
              drop in the cap hit by keeping him next year, we have to consider a trade
              now. Perhaps, as Zip suggested, he may even renegotiate in order to make it
              easier to work out a trade.

              ***** In either case, I'm convinced that the combination of the Pats
              offensive schemes (Weis), and the Brady package of intelligence, attitude,
              and adequate skills and mobility, provide us with all we need at the QB
              position to be a Super Bowl champion. The immobility, deep ball inaccuracy,
              and poor adjustment capability of Bledsoe do not overcome the plusses of his
              strong arm, short pass accuracy, and great attitude/guts, in my opinion. As
              some of us have been saying for years, he's a QB who needs a great OL and
              running back to complement him in order to have major success. I have great
              respect for him as a person, but I just don't see him as an elite NFL QB who
              can carry a team with other offensive limitations to a Super Bowl.

              George

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 20, 2001
                ***** In either case, I'm convinced that the combination of the Pats
                offensive schemes (Weis), and the Brady package of intelligence, attitude,
                and adequate skills and mobility, provide us with all we need at the QB
                position to be a Super Bowl champion. The immobility, deep ball inaccuracy,
                and poor adjustment capability of Bledsoe do not overcome the plusses of his

                strong arm, short pass accuracy, and great attitude/guts, in my opinion. As
                some of us have been saying for years, he's a QB who needs a great OL and
                running back to complement him in order to have major success. I have great
                respect for him as a person, but I just don't see him as an elite NFL QB who

                can carry a team with other offensive limitations to a Super Bowl.

                George

                Couldn't have said it better myself...

                -Rob