Punters

  • George R
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
      Steve reported:
      "It won't help this year, but UCF here in Orblando has a punter, who's
      also the PK, that averages 46.3 yards a punt. I know it doesn't mean
      he'd do that in the NFL, but I hope the Pats are watching."

      ***** So what do we do about the punting situation, if it isn't "fixed"
      during this season with a replacement who does a great job? That
      question sent me off to try to find some stats on NCAA punters. An
      admittedly brief surf n' search didn't locate such data. Miguel, do you
      have any idea of a site that provides this? The "Statistics" areas of
      ESPN and Sporting News do not include punting numbers.

      ***** In any case, I'm sure that, in addition to Steve's impressive
      candidate from UCF, there are some seniors out there who have NFL
      potential. My feeling is that, if we don't solve the problem this
      season, we should use a high Day Two pick - Round 4 or 5 - to draft a
      punter.

      ***** This is far too important a factor to a team that depends upon
      solid defense and field position as much as we do. I don't believe that
      Belichick will ever play "wide open" offensive football, and I have no
      problem with that. But I do have a problem with playing defense and
      field position with punter who frequently surrenders 20-30 yards of
      field position with horrible kicks. A dependable punter is a very
      important element for a team like ours. It's easily important enough,
      IMO, to be well worth a R4 or R5 pick.

      ***** Again, I don't have names at the moment, but I submit that, come
      draft prep time, we should be looking as hard at the punters as we are
      at any position on this team. There should be no need to even consider
      using a Day One pick for a punter. But I see it as top priority for Day
      Two.

      ***** Comments?

      =====
    • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
        In a message dated 11/18/2003 2:19:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, patsfangr@... writes:
        ***** Again, I don't have names at the moment, but I submit that, come
        draft prep time, we should be looking as hard at the punters as we are
        at any position on this team. There should be no need to even consider
        using a Day One pick for a punter. But I see it as top priority for Day
        Two.

        ***** Comments?
        ******************
        I just hope you're better at scouting punters than you are scouting TEs.
      • George R
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
          ***** OH YEAH?! Well, where were you when I was urging the Colts to
          draft John Mackey?!

          =====
        • llj7366@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
            I heard a rumor and that is all it could be and probably is but that Adam V.
            has been very vocal about Ken W. He wants him to stay and wants him to be his
            holder. Could this be why he is staying because I can't figure it out why
            the man still is employed with the Patriots!?!
            LISA
          • Brad
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
              Hey everyone, I try to keep on the news for punters in the league and
              I noticed the punter the Patriots have is last in the league. Does
              anyone know of someone who I could contact to get a look at or a try
              out because I truly feel I could fill the void the Patriots have in
              that position. I just finished my first year in the NAFL as a punter
              for the 3rd ranked Indiana Tornados coached by Barry Krauss and
              finished with 37 attempts with a 44.5avg with a net of 39.3. I played
              college ball before that (1997-2000) at Ball State behind Chicago
              Bears punter Brad Maynard and averaged 42yds there. I have an
              excellant knack at positioning the ball towards the sidelines away
              from the returner and corner kicking knocking opponets inside the ten
              yard line. I'm 6'3" 225lb and I'm also a placeholder as well. I'm
              very athletic with the ability to throw the football b/c I was once a
              quarterback and I had a 53 yard touchdown pass this past season on a
              fake punt. Enough about me, please let me know if there is anyone out
              there on this site that could help me help the Patriots out. Thanks.

            • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2003
                In a message dated 11/18/2003 7:25:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, bradkroft@... writes:
[...]
                ************************
                As far making the Patriots goes, the key question is "How's it hanging?"
              • Randy Pierce
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 19, 2003
                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Brad" <bradkroft@y...> wrote:
                  > Hey everyone, I try to keep on the news for punters in the league
                  and
                  Get a highlight tape together and hand carry it into Foxboro Stadium
                  on a Monday. Presumedly you are aware the odds are a bit far-fetched
                  but also have your agent (or yourself if lacking an agent) call the
                  Patriots office and ask them this same question.

                  Best of Luck!
                  Zip