And now, for the bad news

  • George R
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2003
      ***** I didn't want to taint my celebratory post by dwelling on the
      negatives that still exist with our team; but we all know they exist.

      ***** Primary among them is the single worst element of this team - Ken
      Walter. PLEASE, Coach of the Year, dump this bum! There have got to be
      guys - or GIRLS! - out there sacking groceries that can punt better
      than this turkey! As for the job of holding for Adam, as I've said
      before, I find it hard to believe that Huard couldn't handle that job.
      Backup QBs frequently fill that role very well; *and* it provides all
      those options for fakes, or emergency plays. Seriously, there simply
      must be better punters out of work right now. Go get one!

      only deception he should be using is more frequent use of the play
      action pass on first down in the RZ. We can't run, Charlie! We run at
      our worst in the RZ, where opponents play up tight to strengthen their
      run defense. We don't have the speed in our line, or other blockers, to
      run trick plays to the outside. Why do we keep trying both of these
      tactics in the RZ?! Play action passes, and/or quick slants or outs to
      our very competent receivers are the only plays we should be running
      there.

      ***** Speaking of running, we desperately need a premier RB. It simply
      must be our top priority in the next draft; whether we pick a top
      rookie, or trade for a proven stud. I've been a DL/OL proponent
      consistently for the past few years. Now, I know that our defensive
      front 7 can get it done. I also know that, while it still needs
      significant improvement, our OL is above average in pass protection,
      and at least adequate in run blocking. We simply don't have a RB who
      can consistently "make a play" to escape the first level, and break one
      now and then. Add that dimension to our offense, and we have a great
      team. Without it, we will continue to struggle for nearly every win.
      That may please Steve ("I love a close game that goes down to the last
      play"); but this old heart prefers to win with a little less stress!

      =====