Extra Points

  • George R
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2003
      ***** Where do you rank yesterday's win among the Patriots' all time
      victories? It's up in the top 5 for me. It certainly sits at the top of
      wins in the first half of the season.

      ***** I, too, was amazed at BB's reaction at the end of the game. That
      was at least equal to his SB celebration. I think he really
      demonstrated how much pressure of this M.A.S.H. season has put upon
      him. Along with that, was a phsysical release of the very real pride
      that he feels in this entire team and coaching staff, as he expressed
      verbally later. (Like Bob George, and BB, I too literally leaped from
      my chair, jumped up and down repeatedly, and just kept screaming with
      joy. WHAT A WIN!

      ***** I apologize to Bobby "Unsung" Hamilton for leaving him out of my
      post last night. Is there a more consistently effective player than him
      on this, or any team? The guy rarely makes "highlight" plays; but he's
      nearly always among the tacklers on critical running plays. He made at
      least 4 significant plays yesterday. He just does his job every game,
      and damn near every play. Thanks, Bobby!

      ***** Need to repeat my feelings of confusion as to why Ken Walter is
      still on this team. When at his best, he's no better than average. When
      you factor in the frequency with which he shanks a 20-yarder, you have
      to believe that there is some guy bagging groceries somewhere who's
      better than that. He truly sucks. I realize that he's the holder for
      PK's; but can't Huard do that job? I think QBs are much better
      candidates for that job for several obvious reasons. (Where's Tom
      Yewcic?)

      ***** That marvelous play by Troy to end the game puts yet another
      feather in the cap of one of the best players ever to wear a Patriots'
      uniform. That "cap" now rivals the most elaborate head dresses of the
      greatest Native American chiefs! Just when you begin to think that he's
      disappearing, and can't get open consistently anymore, BANG! It's great
      to see Deion "Troy-in-Training" Branch coming along. But he's still got
      a long way to go before he can fill those shoes!

      ***** Do we have any hope of catching the Buffalo Bills, now that
      Lawyer Milloy is on their team, instead of ours? Are we *really*
      winning without that indispensable SS that we should have paid $100
      Million, or whatever, to keep our team from falling apart?

      ***** Speaking of superstars, did we really win that game yesterday
      without Ty Law in the game? Ty, please meet with your agent. Topics for
      consideration:
      1. The preceeding sentence.
      2. The above notes on Milloy.
      3. The fact that Belichick and Romeo have proven that it is their
      coaching that makes the greatest contribution to the success of this
      team. They provided strong evidence of that in 2001. They have provided
      irrefutable proof of it this season, forging stunning success from a
      team more decimated by injury than any successful team in my memory.

      Ty, take a reasonable pay cut to keep the team's salary total under
      control, and continue to play on the best coached team in the NFL. Put
      a couple of million in your pocket; put your superstar ego away; and
      acknowledge the undeniable fact that - IT'S THE COACHING, STUPID!!

      =====
    • Bill Beaulac
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2003
        From: "David Brunat" <brewgnat@...>

        > You also have to
        > believe Ty would have stopped one or more of
        > those big receptions in that game also.

        Many of the big catches were made by McMichael who
        was catching a LB (Phifer?) in M2M quite often.

        -bill [ PATS 12 ]
      • George R
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2003
          --- David Brunat <brewgnat@...> wrote:
          > >> snip >>
          > But I can't help but think Ty Law would not have
          > allowed the Dolphins to run up and down the field
          > with the ease they had much of the time. Ty's
          > presence on the field would have made the defense
          > even better than it was. His superior coverage
          > skills and on field presence cannot be denied.
          > Recall his play in the previous week and tell me
          > we don't need him. Yes we came out with a win in
          > a big game without him but you can't deny we got
          > very lucky in that game. You also have to
          > believe Ty would have stopped one or more of
          > those big receptions in that game also.
          >
          > The BrewGnat

          ***** First, Brew, let me point out that I in NO WAY want Ty Law to
          leave. My point is simply that I agree with BB's apparent philosophy
          that no single "great" player is worth limiting our ability to sign
          several "good" players, who can be coached to play very well, and win,
          as a team. I think the team's play following the loss of Milloy, who I
          was very sorry to lose, provides support for that philosophy.

          ***** As for Ty's likely contribution to this particular game, remember
          that 8 of the 20 Miami completions, and 102 of the 230 receiving yards,
          were by McMichael. When was the last time that Ty covered a TE?

          ***** The coverage I saw by Poole, Samuel, and Wilson, was very good.
          But I will acknowledge that we got some help from the erractic arm of
          Jake Fiedler. He missed at least 4 or 5 open receivers during the
          course of the game.

          ***** Over the course of the season, there is absolutely no doubt that
          our pass D is *much* stronger with Ty Law on a corner. But I'm
          confident that Romeo and BB could, if need be, field a winning defense
          without him. If we can re-sign him without crippling our player
          personnel flexibility due to cap strain, I am 100% behind that. But,
          when BB and Pioli decide where that financial line should be drawn, I
          will fully support whatever decision they make with regard to Ty Law,
          or any other player, just as I did with Milloy.

          =====
        • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2003
            In a message dated 10/20/2003 5:28:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, patsfangr@... writes:
            ***** First, Brew, let me point out that I in NO WAY want Ty Law to
            leave. My point is simply that I agree with BB's apparent philosophy
            that no single "great" player is worth limiting our ability to sign
            several "good" players,
            ******************
            Hey!  Maybe we cut Graham and use that money to pay Law.  I'll go check out Miguel's.

             -p
          • Bob George
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2003
              (Like Bob George, and BB, I too literally leaped from
              > my chair, jumped up and down repeatedly, and just kept screaming with
              > joy.

              'Bout describes what I did to a T. :-)

              Bob G
            • Randy Pierce
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 21, 2003
                1) Our only February game ever - Lombardi
                2) AFC Championship over Pittsburgh
                3) '96 AFC CHampionship over Jacksonville
                4) Snow-bowl Over Raiders
                5) Fog-Bowl over Steelers

                Not surprisingly all play-off games...

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George R <patsfangr@y...> wrote:
                > ***** Where do you rank yesterday's win among the Patriots' all time
                > victories? It's up in the top 5 for me. It certainly sits at the
                top of
                > wins in the first half of the season.
              • Rich Carreiro
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 21, 2003
                  patriotzip@... ("Randy Pierce") writes:

                  > 1) Our only February game ever - Lombardi
                  > 2) AFC Championship over Pittsburgh
                  > 3) '96 AFC CHampionship over Jacksonville
                  > 4) Snow-bowl Over Raiders
                  > 5) Fog-Bowl over Steelers

                  I have to disagree with (3). Take that out and put in
                  the '86 "Squish the Fish" AFC Championship in its place.
                  Breaking the Orange Bowl jinx decisively, denying Marino
                  a Superbowl chance and literally reducing him to tears,
                  seeing the players I grew up watching making it to the
                  Super Bowl...definitely #3 all time.

                  --
                  Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
                • George R
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 21, 2003
                    ***** We have absolutely no disagreement on any of this, Brew. But, as
                    I said earlier, we would very likely have won that game 13-0, without
                    Ty, if it weren't for the 2 fumbles and the "Walter Wiffle Ball". With
                    Ty, maybe it would have been 23-0. :-)

                    =====
                  • Randy Pierce
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 21, 2003
                      I was at UNH when we Squished the Fish and I watched the game as
                      enthusiastically as any Pats fan. Two weeks later I rented a bar on
                      smoke and mirrors (the Tin Palace) and hosted my first Football party
                      ever. UGH...

                      So while I completely understand why you might rate it higher. For
                      me the Jags game was the most electric atmosphere up to that point in
                      the old Fox. They installed the new sound system and I had a few
                      close friends with me for the game. Coach and Jose helped us find a
                      way to bring a damn living room setup in the back of a Ryder truck to
                      the lot. It was tremendously cold but not for us in the heated truck
                      opened int he back to share Jambalaya, Madden Football and the
                      socializin' central which was the Tailgate party's roots. The game
                      was dramatic from the lights out (planned to get a new stadium push?)
                      to the Hail Mary barrage by Brunnell. Pats won and the stands were a
                      love fest of jubilant players and fans. Good memories so I think
                      I'll keep it at #3. :)