NPC - Can't Let This One Pass

  • George R
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2003
      ***** Of all things, it's baseball that prompts me to make a rare post
      here. I know it's NPC, but, to most here, the game last night was
      important enough to "Boston sports fans" to warrant comments. Here are
      mine.

      ***** I have to tell you that I've been watching Major League Baseball
      for over 50 years, and I have never, in all those years, seen a manager
      as totally inept as Grady Little-Dick. His decisions with the pitching
      staff throughout the playoffs were outrageously incompetent. Last night
      really should seal his fate, and eliminate him from consideration as a
      Major League manager forever.

      ***** Leaving Pedro in that game for ONE, let alone TWO good
      left-handed
      hitters was the absolute worst decision in a championship game that I
      have ever seen in over 50 years of watching baseball. Martinez had
      thrown 114 pitches. His season-long totals show that left handers hit
      him much better than right handers ( .238 vs. .179). Ready in the
      bullpen was Alan Embree, who had pitched in 8 post-season games without
      allowing a run, and surrendering only 4 hits, 0 walks in 6.2 innings.
      Behind him, Timlin had 7 playoff appearances, going 8.1 innings, with 0
      runs, 1 hit, 0 walks, and 10 strike outs. The "new" closer, Williamson
      had pitched in 8 games, giving up 1 run, 3 hits, 3 walks, and striking
      out 14 in his 8 innings.

      ***** How the hell can you leave Pedro out there for BACK-TO-BACK LEFT
      HANDERS in that situation, with a bullpen that had been nothing short
      of spectacular in the playoffs? Timlin and Williamson with 24 K's in 16
      innings! A ten year-old knows better.

      ***** So, let's assume, for the moment, that you leave him in to face
      Matsui. BANG! Now you have a 5-3 lead, runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out,
      first base open, and another VERY productive (switch) hitter, Posada,
      coming up. First of all, it is now CLEARLY, in the mind of anybody who
      has watched more than 30 minutes of baseball in his life, time to
      remove Pedro, and bring in one of the two recently very reliable setup
      relievers noted above. The only other possible choice would be to walk
      Posada, setting up a force at any base, or, best case, a double play,
      THEN bring in Embree to face left-handers Giambi and, if necessary,
      Wilson (or PH Sierra). Going with the right handed, but strikeout
      pitcher Timlin couldn't have been questioned either.

      ***** Second guessing? No. Absolutely not. I'm sure I was among
      millions of viewers, whether Red Sox fans or not, who were shocked when
      Little-Dick walked out to the mound and quickly returned, leaving Pedro
      out there. Then, when he left him in after the Matsui hit, and let him
      pitch to Posada ... well, there are no words.

      ***** There is no simpler managerial job in major sports than that of a
      baseball manager. It's a simple game of numbers and percentages. You
      have them in front of you from your statistics and scouting staffs. The
      matchups; the stregnths and weakness of every hitter; the positioning
      of the fielders; the recent performances of your own pitching staff.
      All it requires is the ability to read, and the balls to make a
      decision based upon what all that information clearly dictates to be
      the right move.

      ***** Under any circumstances, the right move last night was to remove
      Pedro before Matsui stepped in. Failing that, for whatever reason, It
      was a total no-brainer to remove him after the Matsui hit. Had Grady
      Little-Dick done so, and had Embree and/or Timlin and Williamson failed
      to hold the lead, anyone who second guessed THAT decision would have
      been a fool. As it is, Little-Dick must be called an incompetent,
      gutless idiot, and removed from his position as soon as possible.

      =====
      George
      ** N E Patriots ....
      Last AFC World Champions! **
    • Bob George
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2003
        > ***** I have to tell you that I've been watching Major League Baseball
        > for over 50 years, and I have never, in all those years, seen a manager
        > as totally inept as Grady Little-Dick. His decisions with the pitching
        > staff throughout the playoffs were outrageously incompetent. Last night
        > really should seal his fate, and eliminate him from consideration as a
        > Major League manager forever.

        George, think carefully. In all your years as a Pats fan, did you ever see
        a coaching decision in a Pats game as dumb as the one Little made in not
        pulling Pedro? Personally I can't right off the top of my head.

        Bob G
      • George R
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2003
          ***** Bob, I have to say that I was frequently frustrated for entire
          games by Bill Parcell's insistence on running up the middle for three
          fruitles attempts to get a 1st down, or TD damn near every time he got
          into the RZ. Remember that?

          ***** However, in view of the relative importance of this game, and the
          specifics of the situation that I noted in my original post, I have to
          say that nothing comes immediately to mind that was as clearly evident
          as the right decision as was the need to pull Pedro at one of the two
          opportunities (before or after Matsui's at bat) during that 8th inning
          last night.

          George

          --- Bob George <bobgeorge@...> wrote:
          > > ***** I have to tell you that I've been watching Major League
          > Baseball
          > > for over 50 years, and I have never, in all those years, seen a
          > manager
          > > as totally inept as Grady Little-Dick. His decisions with the
          > pitching
          > > staff throughout the playoffs were outrageously incompetent. Last
          > night
          > > really should seal his fate, and eliminate him from consideration
          > as a
          > > Major League manager forever.
          >
          > George, think carefully. In all your years as a Pats fan, did you
          > ever see
          > a coaching decision in a Pats game as dumb as the one Little made in
          > not
          > pulling Pedro? Personally I can't right off the top of my head.
          >
          > Bob G

        • Bob George
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2003
            > ***** Bob, I have to say that I was frequently frustrated for entire
            > games by Bill Parcell's insistence on running up the middle for three
            > fruitles attempts to get a 1st down, or TD damn near every time he got
            > into the RZ. Remember that?

            Just thought of one...Parcells kicking to Howard in SB XXXI! Except that
            TRAITOROUS RETCH was probably doing it on purpose!

            Bob G
          • George R
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2003
              ***** A valid candidate! That play didn't have an "immediate personal
              impact" on me. I was at work (in Shanghai, China) during that game, and
              missed it. Perhaps fortunate for the residents of Shanghai! :-)

              George

              --- Bob George <bobgeorge@...> wrote:
              > > ***** Bob, I have to say that I was frequently frustrated for
              > entire
              > > games by Bill Parcell's insistence on running up the middle for
              > three
              > > fruitles attempts to get a 1st down, or TD damn near every time he
              > got
              > > into the RZ. Remember that?
              >
              > Just thought of one...Parcells kicking to Howard in SB XXXI! Except
              > that
              > TRAITOROUS RETCH was probably doing it on purpose!
              >
              > Bob G

              =====
              George
              ** N E Patriots ....
              Last AFC World Champions! **
            • Monty Rodrigues
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
                How about kicking off to Howard in the Super Bowl?

                Monty