Re: Len Pasquarelli on Milloy and Law

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2003
      In a message dated 9/6/03 8:26:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, miguelandnancy@... writes:

      The skinny on the Lawyer Milloy release: During a
      meeting late last week with coach Bill Belichick, the
      four-time Pro Bowl safety was apprised that he would
      either have to accept a reworked contract or be
      released. Word is that when Milloy heard the word
      "release," he lost all perspective. Then on Sunday,
      when Belichick again broached the subject of
      restructuring his contract, Milloy, for some reason,
      felt blindsided by the very suggestion. Truth be told,
      the two sides then came very close to an agreement,
      and even Milloy's agents, Kevin and Carl Poston,
      recommended he take the Patriots' proposal, which
      would have reduced his base salary from $4.4 million
      to about $3.2 million. The agents apparently felt
      that, essentially on the eve of the season, they would
      be unable to find a team with sufficient cap room to
      cut Milloy a representative deal. Turns out that
      Milloy made out big-time. Instead of making $4.4
      million in 2003, he will pocket a cool $7 million
      between his signing bonus and base salary. Word is
      that none of the $5 million signing bonus was
      deferred. Of course, once Milloy was released, the
      Postons helped to drive up the price by
      mischaracterizing some offers. They played on the
      emotions of Redskins owner Dan

      Back from a brief vacation.
      The above article characterizes Milloy well.  Way back in the past when Milloy was barganing for this contract I met him outside Parente's after training camp.  Being a bit of a wise ass (and not too bright) I gave him some serious shit about not yet signing with the Pats.  The guy went off on me.  I shut up, remembering that I had violated Rule 1 of being a living wiseass - always position yourself for the escape route.  Unfortunately I was in the restaurant and Milloy was entering.  Milloy is major league involved in ego over this stuff.  Just the way he is.  Does not surprise me a bit that BB & Pioli misjudged and thought he had a deal with the scum sucking agents (and they did) but that Milloy balked, big time.

      I'll miss the guy bigtime, right up until he takes the field wearing that stupid Bills uniform.

      Pats 11-5  AFCE Champs

      -p (glad to read that cap rich Buffalo overpaid)