Too many zeroes

  • John Warren
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      I think Jim Donaldson's column in todays Providence
      Journal sums it up pretty well ...

      http://www.projo.com/sports/jimdonaldson/projo_20030903_03jdcol.33fdb.html

      Too many zeroes on his paycheck. Too many zeroes on
      his stat line.

      Milloy was going to make $5,600,000 this season.
      That's a lot of zeroes. Particularly for a guy who
      last year had zero interceptions, zero fumble
      recoveries, zero forced fumbles, and zero sacks.

      But not exactly zero ego.

      "I'm second to none," Milloy proclaimed at mini-camp
      in June. "I know what I can do. You guys want to bring
      up stats and all that. I'm second to none. That's the
      bottom line."

      Also in the Projo, Tom Curran hints that there may be
      something fishy going on and a possible tampering
      case. This would be hard to prove, but if Milloy
      started shopping his services before he was released,
      that could have a major affect upon his playing
      somewhere else. Remeber in the case of Ted Johnson,
      they gave him permission to seek a new deal while stil
      under contract with the Pats. They didn't with
      Milloy. If he and his agent went out and solicited
      offers from other teams, even to determine his worth
      on the open market, that would be in violation.

      If he is signed today or tommorrow, look for the
      Patriots to file a petition with the league that
      prevents Milloy from even attending meetings (never
      mind playing) with the new team over the alleged
      tampering charges.

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • southwestnut
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        If that was the concern (the zeroes) than that should have come up
        before 5 days before the regular season starts. Milloy's CAP NUMBER
        was $5.6M, but that's not his salary for the year. What is the cap
        number with Malloy gone? His salary was $4M for the upcoming year,
        perhaps that's too much, but the Patriots SIGNED THAT CONTRACT. He
        hasn't missed a game, hasn't missed a practice, provided character
        and leadership to the team and made the Pro Bowl two times in the
        first three years of the contract. It certainly seems to me that he
        lived up to his end of the contract.

        However, if the Pats were going to let him go than they should have
        given him plenty of time to find another team. That would have been
        the decent thing to do to a player who has given 100% to the
        Patriots over 7 years. And if I am Milloy's agent the first thing I
        do when Patriots talk about "renegotiating" the contract I am
        talking to all the NFL GM's and letting them know what's going on.
        Of course, that probably undermines the Patriots negotiation
        position if they try to market Milloy.

        In all likelihood it was a bad contract (Done by Grier, I believe).
        But the Patriots can not afford to get a reputation for letting
        players go at the last minute when they don't like the contract.