Re: Does it, Cecil?

  • George R
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
      ***** Chris, Apparently the concept of "greed" has simply left the
      planet for many Americans today. You all seem to feel that there is no
      such thing as "enough". Well, I don't agree. I think there IS a point
      at which making more money can and should take a back seat to the
      personal satisfaction achieved from a combination of giving and
      producing at the highest level of your chosen profession.

      ***** You can, and will most certainly choose to disagree. But those
      are the principles that drove the vast majority of the people who moved
      the human race from the cave to the age of automation.

      ***** I'm not suggesting that "subsistance" is enough, Chris. I'm
      saying that a person who earns, in a year or two, enough money buy a
      large home, a few cars, a plethora of luxury items, and a few solid
      investments really has all the material things that he should need for
      an enjoyable material life. What he reaches for beyond that is, purely
      and simply, greed and gluttony.

      ***** I agree that we who are getting into this again are beating a
      horse that's been dead for some time here. So, fear not, I'm done with
      it. At least as a part of the discussion on this issue. But I did think
      it was appropriate to remind some of you that there are those who feel
      that super rich athletes and their leaches are what a religious man
      (which I certainly am not) would call greedy to the point of being
      sinful. Those of us who believe that, also believe that Lawyer Milloy's
      departure was the net result of that greed, as it has "matured" over
      the years.