Perspective

  • George R
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
      Tom Brady's quote:

      "TB: It is as cut throat as cut throat can be. Everyone
      worries about the loyalty to the player and at the
      same time we see what happens. I think you realize
      that you have to realize what motivates you. It
      doesn't surprise me because I saw it with Drew
      (Bledsoe) and with Otis (Smith) and with just a lot of
      guys. It is a tough business. It is really tough
      because there is never job security."

      No job security? LOL! "Star quality" players make more money in ONE
      season than most Americans make in a lifetime.

      Look at what happened to poor Otis. He's out on the street. How the
      hell will he survive? Who'll join me in starting a "Save Otis Smith
      Fund" to help house, feed, and cloth he and his family?

      No job security? Any young player with above NFL average talent will
      NEVER be without a high paying job. Any older player has had ample
      opportunity to set himself up for life, financially. Shove your job
      security, Tom!

      My company, Boeing, has laid off over 12,000 people her in Long Beach
      in the last two years. (And nearly 100,000 nation-wide!) I'm very
      fortunate not to have been among them (yet!). How do you think their
      "job security" and financial stability stacks up against that of Otis
      Smith?!

      Why can't these professional athletes EVER count their blessings? They
      have not got ONE FUCKING THING in the world to bitch about! Not ONE!

      =====
      George
      ** N E Patriots ....
      Last AFC World Champions! **
    • southwestnut
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
        George,

        I don't get your comment at all. Tom Brady is saying the exact same
        thing you are saying but you seem to blast all professional
        athletes. I think the Pats did a terrible thing. Football players
        do put their bodies on the line each week and some have got injuries
        that they never recover (Darryl Stingley, Mike Utley). Many others
        (Earl Campbell) are essentially crippled for life. So when you
        say "They have not got ONE FUCKING THING in the world to bitch
        about!" you are terribly off base.

        If the Pats intention was to let Milloy go, they should have done it
        much sooner than now. It would give him a chance to catch on with
        another team at his true market value, plus get someone else ready
        to get ready to fill his shoes. Now we are 5 days away from the
        game and this is the big news.

        In 2001-2002, Patriots impressed the nation as they came out onto
        the field as a TEAM. Its a shame one of THE LEADERS from the group
        had to be cut because the Patriots didn't want to pay what THEY HAD
        agreed to pay in the contract. Fact is Pats were under the cap so
        this is not at all the new realities that Bill Bellichick. Its just
        saying that chemistry and leadership don't count for anything and we
        could find a cheaper replacement so off you go to the proverbial
        trash heap.

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George R <patsfangr@y...> wrote:
        > Tom Brady's quote:
        >
        > "TB: It is as cut throat as cut throat can be. Everyone
        > worries about the loyalty to the player and at the
        > same time we see what happens. I think you realize
        > that you have to realize what motivates you. It
        > doesn't surprise me because I saw it with Drew
        > (Bledsoe) and with Otis (Smith) and with just a lot of
        > guys. It is a tough business. It is really tough
        > because there is never job security."
        >
        > No job security? LOL! "Star quality" players make more money in ONE
        > season than most Americans make in a lifetime.
        >
        > Look at what happened to poor Otis. He's out on the street. How the
        > hell will he survive? Who'll join me in starting a "Save Otis Smith
        > Fund" to help house, feed, and cloth he and his family?
        >
        > No job security? Any young player with above NFL average talent
        will
        > NEVER be without a high paying job. Any older player has had ample
        > opportunity to set himself up for life, financially. Shove your job
        > security, Tom!
        >
        > My company, Boeing, has laid off over 12,000 people her in Long
        Beach
        > in the last two years. (And nearly 100,000 nation-wide!) I'm very
        > fortunate not to have been among them (yet!). How do you think
        their
        > "job security" and financial stability stacks up against that of
        Otis
        > Smith?!
        >
        > Why can't these professional athletes EVER count their blessings?
        They
        > have not got ONE FUCKING THING in the world to bitch about! Not
        ONE!

        > =====
        > George
        > ** N E Patriots ....
        > Last AFC World Champions! **
      • George R
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
          ***** We are lucky to be Patriots fans. That fact was put into perspective for me very clearly yesterday when, during the Seattle - St Louis game, the announcers mentioned that the Seahawks have not won a playoff game since 1984. ... 1984!

          ***** Over that same period of time, our Patriots have won 12 playoff games, 2 of those, of course, with Lombardi Trophies as a reward.

          ***** So, while I look forward to enjoying a lot more playoff wins by our team, starting next Sunday night, if it doesn't happen this year, let's remember what they've given us in comparison to the performance of some other teams for their forlorn fans.

          ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

          Do you Yahoo!?