Does it, Cecil?

  • George R
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
      Cecil wrote:

      "At some point, it has to become about the product on the field..."

      Cecil, why should it for management, when it certainly doesn't for the
      players? Off they go at the drop of the highest dollar.

      The emphasis on the term "Professional sports" is, now more than every
      before, on the first word; often to the detriment of the second word.
      That's just the way it is.

      Sure, there are exceptions among the players. But they are as rare as
      is an NFL owner. like Bob Kraft, who will build a stadium with his own
      money; or a MLB owner, like George Steinbrenner, who will spend
      whatever it takes to keep his team on top; or an NBA owner, like Mark
      Cuban, who will emulate Steinbrenner. The vast majority of owners and
      players are out for the big buck above all else. The desire to win
      takes second place; and, most often, a distant second place.

      I still come back to the fact that Lawyer Milloy was about to make
      somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 million this year with a
      re-negotiated contract (according to the rumors), with more millions to
      come in years ahead. That is enough money to allow any American to set
      himself up for a life of luxury for the rest of his life. WTF more
      material wealth does an individual need? Why isn't the opportunity to
      continue playing with a team that has recently won a SB, and is in
      excellent position to contend for at least one more immediately, enough
      to provide all the satisfaction a person needs? Why isn't a couple of
      million dollars a year, AND "the product on the field" enough?

      As for the "leadership" issue, it certainly will cause some disruption
      in the immediate future. It may even cost us this first game. But
      players adjust to movement and loss of "leaders" in today's NFL. As
      noted above, that's just the way it is today. Wasn't there
      consternation when we lost Drew? And you can cite dozens of other
      examples around the league in recent years of a team losing a "leader",
      and surviving the initial shock to play well.

      I definitely believe that it, if it was to be done, it should have been
      done sooner. But when? Before the acquisition of TW? I don't think BB
      would have considered it then.

      Again, think about my comments on the "changes" in our defense this
      season. Without TW, we would still be dependent upon the SS for
      considerable run support, and for frequent blitzing. With TW, I believe
      those needs are significantly ameliorated. I think the acquisition of
      TW (and likely a lot of film study to confirm its affect) is what
      convinced BB that he could afford to go "hard line" with Milloy.

      Wishful thinking? Looking through the rose colored glasses? Maybe. But
      I'll go with that theory until we see how the next few games unfold.

      =====
      George
      ** N E Patriots ....
      Last AFC World Champions! **
    • rob.bosch@rcn.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
        Well, I have to admit i'm in shock on this one. It's funny
        because I was thinking the last couple of days...man isnt it
        nice how the team has no really big issues to contend with
        leading up to opening day. Last year we had the Ted Johnson
        walk out right before the opener...which really shook things
        up. So I was enjoying the relatively peaceful environment
        around the team...and then....WHAM!

        My opinion....really bad move here. The timing is
        horrendous. The team was under the cap, so why do this now?
        Let this year play out, and then deal with the Milloy/Law
        issue next offseason. I didnt like the hard line stance that
        Milloy and Law were taking myself..and I hate their agent
        (Poston). But...to make a cut like that now...not good.
        Milloy is a leader on this team...a guy many guys look up
        to...a guy with many friends. In many ways he was the
        heartbeat of this team. This move will have a negative
        impact on this team to start the season...there is no doubt
        in my mind about this. Eventually the shock will wear off,
        but at what price? There simply was no need to do this now,
        and I'm shocked that BB and Pioli chose now to do it. Now I
        read that the Bills are interested in Milloy. Just great.

        As for the acquisition of TW..and his affect on the
        defense...well I pray that this guy doesn't get hurt. And at
        35 years old and nearly 400 pounds, why would it not shock
        me if he does get hurt? I agree his inclusion in the defense
        is huge (literally and figuratively), but if Milloy was cut
        partially because TW is expected to shore up the run defense
        the Pats are certainly putting a lot of eggs in his basket.
        Two weeks ago we didnt even have this guy...now we're
        cutting people based on his spot on the roster? Scary
        thought.

        -Pats Freak (not a happy camper right now)
      • George R
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
          ***** Chris, Apparently the concept of "greed" has simply left the
          planet for many Americans today. You all seem to feel that there is no
          such thing as "enough". Well, I don't agree. I think there IS a point
          at which making more money can and should take a back seat to the
          personal satisfaction achieved from a combination of giving and
          producing at the highest level of your chosen profession.

          ***** You can, and will most certainly choose to disagree. But those
          are the principles that drove the vast majority of the people who moved
          the human race from the cave to the age of automation.

          ***** I'm not suggesting that "subsistance" is enough, Chris. I'm
          saying that a person who earns, in a year or two, enough money buy a
          large home, a few cars, a plethora of luxury items, and a few solid
          investments really has all the material things that he should need for
          an enjoyable material life. What he reaches for beyond that is, purely
          and simply, greed and gluttony.

          ***** I agree that we who are getting into this again are beating a
          horse that's been dead for some time here. So, fear not, I'm done with
          it. At least as a part of the discussion on this issue. But I did think
          it was appropriate to remind some of you that there are those who feel
          that super rich athletes and their leaches are what a religious man
          (which I certainly am not) would call greedy to the point of being
          sinful. Those of us who believe that, also believe that Lawyer Milloy's
          departure was the net result of that greed, as it has "matured" over
          the years.

          George