Smith Fails Conditioning Run

  • John Warren
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
      Michael Felger reported on WEEI this afternoon that
      Antwain Smith was riding a bike and working with the
      Strength and Conditioning coach on the sidelines at
      Patriots practice. This indicates that he did not
      pass the conditioning run. He wasn't alone! Damien
      Woody, Patrick Pass, Fred Mcreary, Ty Law, Willie
      McGinest were also not practicing. Otis Smith, Joe
      Andruzzi were listed as imjured. McGinest had told
      Felger last night that his back had tightened and he
      would not pass the test today.

      To put it into perspective, some of these players
      could be hurt, or they may have "just missed" meeting
      the timed run. Steve DeOssie explained that some
      players get nervous and just barely miss one of the
      timed runs.

      IMO I would have cut Smith on the spot and sent a
      message to the rest of the team. This is a slap in
      the face of the coach and an insult to his teammates
      that he has failed the conditioning run for the third
      consecutive year.

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Randy Pierce
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
        Well the names of those who failed will be clearly released very soon
        and then we can reasonably pass our judgement on the players. At
        this point it is still a mix of injury and failures which we cannot
        accurately discern.

        Patience - especially on the presumption that Ty failed running ...
        I'd think that unlikely.

        As for cutting Smith on the spot? That wouldn't be my first choice
        at all. I'm unhappy if he failed it and I would take punitive
        actions - which BB does each year when someone fails their runs.
        This team is not so talent rich it can cast off talent lightly. I'm
        expecting Womack to beat Smith out this year but I won't throw away
        anything until I have my proof. I will make them run laps around the
        field while everyone else practices as well as other similar and
        reasonable punitive actions. BB has the toughest conditioning run in
        the league - this does not excuse failures. This does allow me to
        tolerate the means by which he handles such failures.

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, John Warren <packy001@y...> wrote:
        > Michael Felger reported on WEEI this afternoon that
        > Antwain Smith was riding a bike and working with the
        > Strength and Conditioning coach on the sidelines at
        > Patriots practice. This indicates that he did not
        > pass the conditioning run. He wasn't alone! Damien
        > Woody, Patrick Pass, Fred Mcreary, Ty Law, Willie
        > McGinest were also not practicing. Otis Smith, Joe
        > Andruzzi were listed as imjured. McGinest had told
        > Felger last night that his back had tightened and he
        > would not pass the test today.
        >
        > To put it into perspective, some of these players
        > could be hurt, or they may have "just missed" meeting
        > the timed run. Steve DeOssie explained that some
        > players get nervous and just barely miss one of the
        > timed runs.
        >
        > IMO I would have cut Smith on the spot and sent a
        > message to the rest of the team. This is a slap in
        > the face of the coach and an insult to his teammates
        > that he has failed the conditioning run for the third
        > consecutive year.

        > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Bob George
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
          > IMO I would have cut Smith on the spot and sent a
          > message to the rest of the team. This is a slap in
          > the face of the coach and an insult to his teammates
          > that he has failed the conditioning run for the third
          > consecutive year.

          Don't cut him.

          First, some reports say that the tryouts haven't happened yet, and today's
          practice was moved indoors. Any info on these workouts is strictly based on
          rumours. Second, if this be true, if you cut Smith, what about the others?
          Third, on the Sox pregame show tonight, I agree with Nick Cafardo that "we
          make way too much of this" regarding to Smith failing the test the first
          time.

          Bob G
        • John Warren
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2003
            Bob,

            As I stated, it was an eyewitness report of Michael
            Felger from the Training Camp practice.

            I don't care what Cafado says ... its all BS from him.

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com