Re: Have to love that "team" first attitude!

  • Dave Hunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
      Hi Dave,

      Appreciate your insights and comments on this and have read
      the "whole" story from multiple sources. My response is that Antoine
      has failed two conditioning runs for two consecutive years...then
      goes on a live radio program this year and makes this statement for
      everyone to hear. BB in my opinion is pretty close lipped on every
      thing from imjuries to potential free agents,etc. and would have
      nothing to gain my bad mouthing Antione's condition publically as it
      would impact potential trades....settlements...etc.
      BB is a cagey individual and with that in mind I'll go with the
      obvious history of Mr. Smith for now until he proves differently in
      camp and then in games. It's part of why he was availible for us
      from the Bills in the first place and as the saying goes history
      does have a tendency of repeating itself.
      My two cents...
      Be Well,
      Dave
      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@p...> wrote:
      > Maybe you want to read hte *whole* article or sets of articles,
      > because BB also *praised* Smith by saying that regardless of what
      he
      > says, he is in the best shape he has ever been at this time of the
      > year... so it's not a case of a glass half empty or broken.
      There's
      > also the option of the glass half full ;)
      >
      > Dave
      > www.PatriotsWeekly.com
      >
      > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hunter" <dhunter3@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > From Fanball.com...
      > > News
      > > Antowain Smith has failed Bill Belichick's training camp
      > > conditioning test in each of the past two seasons, but it
      doesn't
      > > sound like it really matters to Smith. On Wednesday he admitted
      > > local radio station that conditioning "isn't one of my strong
      > > points.''

      > > That's nice. We were shocked when New England stood pat at
      running
      > > back during the offseason. Smith's recent comments could
      motivate
      > > the front office to bring in some competition. According to the
      > > Boston Herald, the team may look into former BC star Mike Cloud,
      > > recently released by the Chiefs.
      > >

      > > * And this guy makes millions to play a game and can't be
      > expected
      > > to show up in shape? Why is this attitude any more acceptable
      than
      > > Terry Glenn's was when he was a Pat? Blows my mind that BB and
      RK
      > > put up with this nonsense on a team noted for the work ethic of
      > its
      > > players.
      > > Enjoy your weekend all!
      > > Dave
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
        I disagree.
        Belichick is *not* the type of coach who says anything about his
        players. The guy is about as entertaining as a door knob.
        So when he goes out of his way to say something nice about a player,
        he usually means it.
        Smith did show up out of shape for two years, that's for certain.
        Although the first year, we won a SB and he did pretty well for
        himself that year.
        I think that what he said in the press is more an ego thing than
        anything else. He's a pro athlete, and like all pro athletes, he has
        a hard time saying that he is wrong or was wrong. The easy way out
        is to let his ego say crap like "I didn't change a thing to my off
        season work ethic". All that to me is moot when I hear BB praise
        him.
        I guess we will see...
        Dave.
        www.NewEnglandSportsOnline.com

        wrote:
> [...]
        > > > local radio station that conditioning "isn't one of my strong
        > > > points.''

        > > > That's nice. We were shocked when New England stood pat at
        > running
        > > > back during the offseason. Smith's recent comments could
        > motivate
        > > > the front office to bring in some competition. According to
        the
        > > > Boston Herald, the team may look into former BC star Mike
        Cloud,
        > > > recently released by the Chiefs.
        > > >

        > > > * And this guy makes millions to play a game and can't be
        > > expected
        > > > to show up in shape? Why is this attitude any more acceptable
        > than
        > > > Terry Glenn's was when he was a Pat? Blows my mind that BB and
        > RK
        > > > put up with this nonsense on a team noted for the work ethic
      • Randy Pierce
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2003
          I have not read the articles yet but I wonder if Antoine's comments
          may have been justification for his past 'failings.' More of a "That
          hasn't been my strong suit" rather than an "I have no interest or
          intent in conditioning?" Possible?

          Either way, A. Smith isn't the guy I believe in any longer. He had a
          burst of speed in 2001 which he showcased on multiple occasions and
          for which he deserved considerable credit. Last year it wasn't
          there. Several key moments clinched his problem to me such as Henry
          Ford (300 pound DT) running him down from behind. His OL outrunning
          him on a sweep... Unless there was an injury which is now gone, I
          think Womack is going to beat him out in camp.

          Wolfie posts on this list occasionally and he had a talk with Kevin
          Faulk recently in which Faulk was raving about Womack. For another
          RB to rave about him - there MUST be some impressive things taking
          place. Otherwise I'd have expected Faulk to rave about himself - or
          all of them.