Re: Have to love that "team" first attitude!

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
      Maybe you want to read hte *whole* article or sets of articles,
      because BB also *praised* Smith by saying that regardless of what he
      says, he is in the best shape he has ever been at this time of the
      year... so it's not a case of a glass half empty or broken. There's
      also the option of the glass half full ;)

      Dave
      www.PatriotsWeekly.com

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hunter" <dhunter3@s...>
      wrote:
      > From Fanball.com...
      > News
      > Antowain Smith has failed Bill Belichick's training camp
      > conditioning test in each of the past two seasons, but it doesn't
      > sound like it really matters to Smith. On Wednesday he admitted to
      > local radio station that conditioning "isn't one of my strong
      > points.''

      > That's nice. We were shocked when New England stood pat at running
      > back during the offseason. Smith's recent comments could motivate
      > the front office to bring in some competition. According to the
      > Boston Herald, the team may look into former BC star Mike Cloud,
      > recently released by the Chiefs.
      >

      > * And this guy makes millions to play a game and can't be
      expected
      > to show up in shape? Why is this attitude any more acceptable than
      > Terry Glenn's was when he was a Pat? Blows my mind that BB and RK
      > put up with this nonsense on a team noted for the work ethic of
      its
      > players.
      > Enjoy your weekend all!
      > Dave
    • Dave Hunter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
        Hi Dave,

        Appreciate your insights and comments on this and have read
        the "whole" story from multiple sources. My response is that Antoine
        has failed two conditioning runs for two consecutive years...then
        goes on a live radio program this year and makes this statement for
        everyone to hear. BB in my opinion is pretty close lipped on every
        thing from imjuries to potential free agents,etc. and would have
        nothing to gain my bad mouthing Antione's condition publically as it
        would impact potential trades....settlements...etc.
        BB is a cagey individual and with that in mind I'll go with the
        obvious history of Mr. Smith for now until he proves differently in
        camp and then in games. It's part of why he was availible for us
        from the Bills in the first place and as the saying goes history
        does have a tendency of repeating itself.
        My two cents...
        Be Well,
        Dave
        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@p...> wrote:
        > Maybe you want to read hte *whole* article or sets of articles,
        > because BB also *praised* Smith by saying that regardless of what
        he
        > says, he is in the best shape he has ever been at this time of the
        > year... so it's not a case of a glass half empty or broken.
        There's
        > also the option of the glass half full ;)
        >
        > Dave
        > www.PatriotsWeekly.com
        >
        > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hunter" <dhunter3@s...>
        > wrote:
        > > From Fanball.com...
        > > News
        > > Antowain Smith has failed Bill Belichick's training camp
        > > conditioning test in each of the past two seasons, but it
        doesn't
        > > sound like it really matters to Smith. On Wednesday he admitted
        > > local radio station that conditioning "isn't one of my strong
        > > points.''

        > > That's nice. We were shocked when New England stood pat at
        running
        > > back during the offseason. Smith's recent comments could
        motivate
        > > the front office to bring in some competition. According to the
        > > Boston Herald, the team may look into former BC star Mike Cloud,
        > > recently released by the Chiefs.
        > >

        > > * And this guy makes millions to play a game and can't be
        > expected
        > > to show up in shape? Why is this attitude any more acceptable
        than
        > > Terry Glenn's was when he was a Pat? Blows my mind that BB and
        RK
        > > put up with this nonsense on a team noted for the work ethic of
        > its
        > > players.
        > > Enjoy your weekend all!
        > > Dave
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
          I disagree.
          Belichick is *not* the type of coach who says anything about his
          players. The guy is about as entertaining as a door knob.
          So when he goes out of his way to say something nice about a player,
          he usually means it.
          Smith did show up out of shape for two years, that's for certain.
          Although the first year, we won a SB and he did pretty well for
          himself that year.
          I think that what he said in the press is more an ego thing than
          anything else. He's a pro athlete, and like all pro athletes, he has
          a hard time saying that he is wrong or was wrong. The easy way out
          is to let his ego say crap like "I didn't change a thing to my off
          season work ethic". All that to me is moot when I hear BB praise
          him.
          I guess we will see...
          Dave.
          www.NewEnglandSportsOnline.com

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > > local radio station that conditioning "isn't one of my strong
          > > > points.''

          > > > That's nice. We were shocked when New England stood pat at
          > running
          > > > back during the offseason. Smith's recent comments could
          > motivate
          > > > the front office to bring in some competition. According to
          the
          > > > Boston Herald, the team may look into former BC star Mike
          Cloud,
          > > > recently released by the Chiefs.
          > > >

          > > > * And this guy makes millions to play a game and can't be
          > > expected
          > > > to show up in shape? Why is this attitude any more acceptable
          > than
          > > > Terry Glenn's was when he was a Pat? Blows my mind that BB and
          > RK
          > > > put up with this nonsense on a team noted for the work ethic
        • Randy Pierce
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2003
            I have not read the articles yet but I wonder if Antoine's comments
            may have been justification for his past 'failings.' More of a "That
            hasn't been my strong suit" rather than an "I have no interest or
            intent in conditioning?" Possible?

            Either way, A. Smith isn't the guy I believe in any longer. He had a
            burst of speed in 2001 which he showcased on multiple occasions and
            for which he deserved considerable credit. Last year it wasn't
            there. Several key moments clinched his problem to me such as Henry
            Ford (300 pound DT) running him down from behind. His OL outrunning
            him on a sweep... Unless there was an injury which is now gone, I
            think Womack is going to beat him out in camp.

            Wolfie posts on this list occasionally and he had a talk with Kevin
            Faulk recently in which Faulk was raving about Womack. For another
            RB to rave about him - there MUST be some impressive things taking
            place. Otherwise I'd have expected Faulk to rave about himself - or
            all of them.