Pats news from the ProJo

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16 9:22 AM
      Patriots Notebook: Former Ram Davis could provide boost to linebacker corps
      05/16/2003

      BY TOM E. CURRAN
      Providence Journal Sports Writer

      The Patriots are close to signing former Rams linebacker Don Davis.

      He's a 6-foot-1-inch, 234-pounder who can play inside or outside. Davis, 30,
      hasn't carved out a niche in the league as a full-time starter since coming out
      of Kansas in 1996, but he is acknowledged as an athletic and versatile player
      who can play any of the linebacker spots.

      Davis came into the league with New Orleans, went to Tampa Bay in 1998 then
      followed Lovie Smith to St. Louis when he became the Rams defensive
      coordinator. Davis played for the Rams in 2001 and 2002, starting a total of 15
      games. With the Patriots, he will work with defensive coordinator Romeo
      Crennel.

      The Pats defensive scheme, Davis's agent Neil Cornrich said, is one of the
      reasons he's signing with New England.

      "Don's a player who eventually hopes to coach and the opportunity to play in
      the most sophisticated defense in the NFL under coaches like Bill Belichick and
      Romeo Crennel was one he didn't want to pass up," said Cornrich, who represents
      several Patriots, including Belichick.

      "He's really a good player and a great kid and a class act," said Cornrich.

      The Rams have been adding younger players to their linebacking corps, making
      Davis expendable. The Pats, meanwhile, have added only Rosevelt Colvin and
      seventh-round pick Tully Banta-Cain to their aging linebacker group this
      offseason.

      Add 1, subtract 1

      The Pats signed rookie free-agent lineman Dave Petruziello yesterday.

      Petruziello, 23, played four seasons at Michigan, moving from the defensive
      line to the offensive line his junior year. The 6-4, 297-pounder started 10 of
      12 games for Michigan his junior year and all 13 games as a senior.

      The Patriots also announced yesterday they have released rookie free agent Kyle
      Croskey. He signed on May 2.

      Market availability

      Safety Victor Green is still on the market. His agent, Nate Lampley, said
      yesterday that while talks with the Saints were "serious," the sides haven't
      been able to settle on a deal. The Patriots, for whom Green played last season,
      negotiated the right to match any offer made to Green and retain him, said
      Lampley. The Pats haven't talked to Lampley in "a couple of months." . . . With
      big Luther Elliss taking a $3.7-million pay cut to stay in Detroit, another
      defensive lineman is off the market. The Patriots would like to add another
      lineman this offseason. Former Titan Henry Ford is still available, though the
      Pats haven't inquired about him yet.

      -p
    • BB
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16 12:56 PM
        From: <PatsWickedPissah@...>

        > Patriots Notebook: Former Ram Davis could provide boost to linebacker
        corps
        > 05/16/2003
        >

        > With the Patriots, he will work with defensive coordinator Romeo
        > Crennel.
        >
        > The Pats defensive scheme, Davis's agent Neil Cornrich said, is one of the
        > reasons he's signing with New England.
        >
        > "Don's a player who eventually hopes to coach and the opportunity to play
        in
        > the most sophisticated defense in the NFL under coaches like Bill
        Belichick
        > and Romeo Crennel was one he didn't want to pass up," said Cornrich, who
        > represents several Patriots, including Belichick.

        It almost sounds like this guy is starting to end
        his career. Perhaps this year's "retiree"? :)
        Seriously, Davis is coming out of defenses
        in Tampa and St. Louis, neither of which are
        too shabby in the LB department. I always
        wonder just how much having the same agents
        comes into play with signings. Agents are basically
        salesmen working on commission, so do they really
        give the up and up on their player?

        -bill [ PATS 12 ]
      • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16 1:20 PM
          In a message dated 5/16/2003 3:57:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, beaulac@... writes:

          >The Pats defensive scheme, Davis's agent Neil Cornrich said, is one of the
          >reasons he's signing with New England.
          >
          >"Don's a player who eventually hopes to coach and the opportunity to play
          in
          >the most sophisticated defense in the NFL under coaches like Bill
          Belichick
          >and Romeo Crennel was one he didn't want to pass up," said Cornrich, who
          >represents several Patriots, including Belichick.

              It almost sounds like this guy is starting to end
              his career.  Perhaps this year's "retiree"?   :)
              Seriously, Davis is coming out of defenses
              in Tampa and St. Louis, neither of which are
              too shabby in the LB department.  I always
              wonder just how much having the same agents
              comes into play with signings.  Agents are basically
              salesmen working on commission, so do they really
              give the up and up on their player?

          -bill  [ PATS  12 ]

          I think the sole advantage of mutual agents is trust.  That's not a bad one.
          -p