Rookie Mini Camp wrapup

  • John Warren
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2003
      Don't get ovevly excited or depressed about a rookie
      minicamp. For some of these guys, it will be the most
      media attention they get all year. With that said,

      Warren doesn't look like a Nose Tackle, Ethan Kelly
      does.

      Klecko is so far advanced on Pro Techniques because of
      his dad. It remains to be seen if he can translate
      that in the training camp and beyond. My bet is that
      he will, and may even be the starting NT.

      A brief highlight film of camp showed that Samuel has
      some punt return skills and Wilson may be very tough
      in man coverage. Even when he gets beat, he has good
      recovery skills.

      Bethel Johnson, Amante Samuel and Chas Gessner's puled
      muscles are not as big a concern (as stated by BB),
      unless they happen in the real training camp.

      Use Troy Brown as a measuring stick. He was an 8th
      round pick in 1993 (they only have 7 rounds now).
      Many of these UDFA WR's would have been drafted if
      they still have 10-12 rounds. Brown was cut, resigned
      to the taxi squad, and didn't make the team until the
      next year.

      Deion Branch and Daniel Graham hit the wall midway
      through the season. Branch's fast start is highly
      unusual for rookie WR's. It usually takes two or
      three years for a WR to get the feel for the pro game.
      Who is going to be this years Troy Brown? Penn WR
      Rob Milanese seems to be the early leader, vaunting to
      the lead after Johnson's injury. Competition will be
      tight for the 5th WR spot and for the Practice Squad.

      There doesn't seem to be any rush to sign another RB.
      Derek Watson and Joe Montgomery left camp without
      contracts. BB stated there isn't any pressing need to
      sign them. This probably means that there isn't any
      market at all for these players.

      Antwoine Womack wasn't going at full speed. Although
      he doesn't have a limp, it was reported that he had a
      hitch in his running style! He worked at both FB and
      HB. hhhhhhhmmmmm If I was JR or Patrick Pass, I
      would be worried!

      A couple of the UDFA really look bad. I won't
      embarrass them by naming them, but they may not even
      make the regular camp.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • John Warren
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2003
        I stand corrected ...

        He was cut, re-signed to the taxi squad and activated
        during the season. I do not believe he made the
        opening day roster, and every team had a shot at
        taking him off waivers.

        His 1st full season was 1994.

        --- Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...>
        wrote:
        > On Mon, 5 May 2003, John Warren wrote:
        >
        > > Bethel Johnson, Amante Samuel and Chas Gessner's
        > puled
        > > muscles are not as big a concern (as stated by
        > BB),
        > > unless they happen in the real training camp.
        > >
        > > Use Troy Brown as a measuring stick. He was an
        > 8th
        > > round pick in 1993 (they only have 7 rounds now).
        > > Many of these UDFA WR's would have been drafted if
        > > they still have 10-12 rounds. Brown was cut,
        > resigned
        > > to the taxi squad, and didn't make the team until
        > the
        > > next year.
        >
        > Not to be a stats weenie, but Brown made the team
        > and played
        > in his first year.

        http://www.patriots.com/team/Personal.sps?biotextid=150&playerid=142&playertype=1#links

      • John Warren