Troy Brown

  • PatriotZip
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 20, 2001
      With a chance to break the all-time reception record, Troy was asked
      about breaking the record and replied: "For Wins? I think we can
      tie the record but we can't beat it."

      The guy is everything you can want in a football player.

      WHEN he breaks Glenn's receiver record and ultimately Coates' team
      record (96) for total receptions, I will be a very elated Pats fan in
      having such a class plsyer hold the record.
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 14 , May 25, 2004
        Good to see that Troy Brown will be around for at least a couple more
        years. What a class act.
        How many guys on this team, if they stay for the remainder of their
        careers, are candidates for the Patriots Hall of Fame? I would say
        Troy and Tedy are locks. What about McGinnest? Too many injuries? Same
        with T. Johnson I think. Any other candidates?

        fdb
      • rockmaul74@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , May 25, 2004
          3 years ago i would have said no way to any of those four, but now i'd say anyone but ted johnson has a chance. mcginnest bruschi and brown have a shot.
        • Randy Z Pierce
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2004
            Whom to put in the Pats Hall of Fame.  I think a two time SB MVP ought to be fairly high on the consideration.  I certainly hope we get to build a fair bit more on his performance but Brady has to be high on the list.  By longevity and with the top Punt Returning stats and several significant receiving records, Troy Brown is also likely.  Adam will be immortalized in New England Patriot folk lore for THE snow kick, the first  and only SB ending Field Goal as well as a second clincher for all the Marbles and a Lombardi Trophy redux.

            Tedy B has certainly immortilized himself in my Patriot world but he needs a few more season to get the nod imo.  I hope we have several of them to finish off a stellar and HOF worthy career.

            Last and not least may be our all time interception leader if Ty Law passes through our gates for a few more highly productive seasons.  The interview with Steve Burton gives me some hope we may in fact get this done.

            Go Pats,

            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2004
              i should add i think brady deserves to be in there, for bringing this team to the highest level. and bledsoe for bringing it out of the gutter.
            • frankdanabrewster
              Message 6 of 14 , May 27, 2004
                I guess I was just thinking of "long termers". But you guys are right,
                Brady could retire today and he'd probably be a shoe-in (two SB wins,
                and all). The point about Bledsoe is interesting. He did help
                reviatlize the franchise. Some would argue that Parcells had more to
                do with that than Drew. A year ago Ty Law would have also come
                immediately to mind, too. I guess the contract squabble kind of
                affects peoples attitudes towards him. On the merits, he certainly
                deserves consideration.

                Another question... The NFL HOF inducts coaches as well as players.
                The Pats HOF has only players. 1) Do they consider coaches? 2) We've
                had two viable candidates in the last 10 years (sorry, Pete). Would
                there be a move to consider them? Of course only one of them has
                actually won the SB (twice, in fact).

                fdb

                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2007
                  ***** Yes. How many players in the history of the team have made as many
                  significant contributions in critical situations as Troy Brown? I think you
                  could count them on one hand. The "standard" stats (Receptions, Yards, TDs)
                  don't begin to tell the story of what he's done for us during our Super Bowl
                  era alone. Watch the "3 Games to Glory" videos, and see how many times he is
                  the guy that makes the play that keeps us in the game, or sets us up for the
                  win.

                  ***** If anybody seriously disagrees on this, I'd really like to see the
                  reasoning behind it.

                  George
                  Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2007

                    Okay, I’ll state the obvious then.  If we retire the jersey number of every player we like we’re going to end up with more digits on the jerseys.  Why is that bad?  Because, as anyone who has ever had to watch the game from the “high altitude” seats can attest that it is too damn hard to read the digits on the jerseys now.  The thought of smaller jersey numbers gives me eye cramps just thinking about it.

                    Don

                    If you're the Patriots, do you retire #80 if/when he retire?

                    He got my vote!!!

                    ________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
                    surfing.
                    http://new.toolbar. yahoo.com/ toolbar/features /mail/index. php

                  • Don Diamant

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12, 2007
                        ***** Don, nobody is suggesting that "we retire the number of every player
                        we like." I have liked a great many Patriots players over my 47 years as a
                        fan of the team. There are very few for whom I'd support a suggestion that
                        their numbers be retired. This honor should only be bestowed upon players
                        whose on field performance has made significant contributions to the success
                        of the team over an extended period of time. I believe that Troy Brown meets
                        that requirement.

                        ***** By comparison, I liked Sam Cunningham, Raymond Clayborn (until he
                        became a Raidah!), John Smith, Stanley Morgan, Ben Coates, Willie McGinest,
                        and many, many more. But there is no one on that list that should, IMO, have
                        his number retired.

                        George
                        Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

                          I think you mean Mike Haynes, to the best of my recollection Raymond
                          never played for the silver and black.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 13, 2007
                            ***** OOPS! Right you are, Levon.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                              Troy has easily earned a very treasured spot in my all time Pats players list.  He's done it all for us and done it all with heart beyond even his considerable talents as well as a quiet dedication to the team.  He's a first ballot Patriots HOF in my mind and yet your question is a valid one even if I dislike the implications in my mind as I think about it.

                              Obviously it's all speculation at this point but in my mind he does not replace anyone on the current roster.  If nothing has opened by the end of his 21 day period then I think we might play some roster games.  I'm not certain if our choices can include releasing him but I believe that is a valid option.  I think we do release him if no roster moves have come about naturally.  From that release he remains always close to fill a need right through until the end of the season.

                              I think Washington for future potentials may keep his spot whereas I think Brown's future ends this year.  I can't quite justify it in BB world but there was a thought of him suiting up for one game, say the December 23 Dolphins, and making a play to catch a ball, get a roaring ovation and then quietly exit after that game.  Not a typical BB move but then again BB often surprises with moves I wouldn't think of as typical for him.

                              I won't be rooting for anyone to get hurt that might give Troy a spot but I'll be enthused about his having a spot if that should unfortunately happen.  That wasn't intended to sound like a Mobster requesting a hit btw!

                              Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:06 PM

                                I've been thinking about Troy since he's started his 21 day window and been wondering how he'll fit into the 53 man roster.  I know there's a lot of sentimentality involved here as what Patriot fan doesn't like Troy "bingo" Brown?  Some might say there's always room for a Troy Brown in a roster.  BB always does what's best for the team when making any decision.  So how would activating Troy make the team better?  Welker isn't going to be replaced at the PR.  Washington isn't just a St player he's actually one of the teams best ST players and is on all non-FG ST teams.  Gaffney, today,  is a better WR, IMO and while he dpesn't play ST's I don't thin Troy is going top replace any current ST players we now have anyway.  So someone tell me just how/where Troy fits into the 53 man roster?

                                Steve - wants to be convinced

                            • Frank
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                                I think suiting him up for one game, and just getting him a catch,
                                to the delight of an admiring crowd, does actually fit into BB's
                                world; like Flutie's drop kick and Eckel's TD. Not sentimentality as
                                much as his sense of history. Troy has a treasured place in Patriots
                                history, and BB is keenly aware of that.

                                I fear this may be the only way Troy takes the field again, unless
                                there is an injury. Unfortunate that we have such a wealth of talent
                                at WR. ;o) Quite the conundrum. I, as all of us, would love to see
                                him in the red, white, and blue once more; to see him catch a TD
                                pass in SB XLII. But alas, we may have to settle for the great
                                memories, and his Patriots HOF celebration.

                                "80" - My favorite Patriot.

                                fdb

                                --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>