TBKY Franchised

  • philw1776@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
      Jones franchised
      20 Feb 03 / by Bryan Morry, Patriots Football Weekly

      INDIANAPOLIS -- After failing to reach a contract agreement with free
      safety Tebucky Jones, the Patriots have designated their starting free
      safety and special teams maven as their Franchise Player.

      The designation means that Jones is due the average salary of the top
      five players at his position, which for safeties, is $3.043 million
      guaranteed for one season with no signing bonus.

      Jones told CBS Sportsline last week that he would not be happy with
      being tagged as the Patriots Franchise Player and would not participate
      in any offseason workouts if that move was made, leading one to believe
      that he may not be willing to play under the Franchise Designation if it
      came to that. His agent, Gary Wichard, could not be reached upon
      confirmation of this news.

      If Jones ends up playing on the one-year designation, the Patriots would
      have two of the highest paid safeties in the league with Lawyer Milloy
      set to earn around $4.4 million in 2003. Milloy's cap figure is closer
      to $6 million, meaning the two starting safeties would account for
      nearly 10 percent of what is expected to be about a $75 million salary
      cap in 2003.

      The Patriots could remove the designation at any time and allow Jones to
      become an unrestricted free agent. But tagging him basically extends the
      negotiation period and provides the Patriots with more leverage in that
      process. Jones is not required to sign the deal, but would have to sit
      out if no agreement is reached and he refused to sign the one-year offer.

      Last season, the Patriots tagged kicker Adam Vinatieri as their
      Franchise Player only to remove the designation upon agreement on a
      three-year contract.

      The goal with Jones is likely the same. The Patriots are obviously
      trying to extend negotiations without the risk of losing the five-year
      veteran and Connecicut native.

      But it would still be a surprise if Jones was the Franchise Player come
      September. A longer-term deal would likely include cap-friendly numbers
      in the early years of the contract. The Patriots aren't likely to commit
      almost $10 million of the salary cap to the safety position, although
      they could approach Milloy about a restructured deal that would include
      guaranteeing more money to spread out his cap hit.

      Such credit card contracts are ones that Bill Belichick looks to avoid
      when agreeing to deals with his players.

      NOTE: Belichick will fly to Indianapolis on Thursday for the Scouting
      Combine which began Tuesday. Scott Pioli and the scouting staff has been
      in Indianapolis all week.
      --
      Boston Sports Media Watch

      http://bostonmedia.blogspot.com

      -philw (great site)
    • George R
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
        ***** I've been a Tebucky fan since the day he got here.
        But there's no way he's worth the max that the F-tag would
        pay him. So I certainly hope that a reasonable contract
        will be worked out before the deadline. And my definition
        of "the deadline" is Draft day, if not sooner for a good FS
        from FA. (I don't know who's out there, so I'm not sure if
        that's a realistic option.) If not, I'd support letting him
        go FA.

        =====
        George
        ** N E Patriots ....
        Last AFC World Champions! **
      • Rob Bosch
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
          I'm shocked they franchised this guy, and see no possible way they will keep
          him on the books at that salary level. I agree with George that if a deal is
          going to be worked out with him, it better be worked out sooner rather than
          later.

          Tebucky is one of those guys that teases you with his talent, but in the end
          you know what you have with him. He'a guy that runs fast...hits like a
          freight train...and gives you everything he has. But he's not around the
          ball enough...does not show good judgement when the ball is in the air...and
          hits his own teammates more than he hits opposing players. I think the Pats
          franchised him because of the obvious athleticism he brings to the team, and
          because of his fine special teams play. But I'm very upset that, as of this
          moment, the Pats have 3 millions dollars of valuable cap money tied up with
          this guy. I know that he will not take up that much money come September,
          but that doesn't make me feel better right now. This team has way too many
          needs at positions other than safety. We've already got a ton of money
          committed to Lawyer Milloy, and I have no problem with that. But in today's
          NFL it is really hard to justify having two highly paid safeties on your
          team. If BB and Pioli end up giving this guy a lot of money I'm going to
          really question them on it.

          -Pats Freak

        • BB
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
            From: <PhilW1776@...>

            > The designation means that Jones is due the average salary of the top
            > five players at his position, which for safeties, is $3.043 million
            > guaranteed for one season with no signing bonus.
            >
            > Jones told CBS Sportsline last week that he would not be happy with
            > being tagged as the Patriots Franchise Player and would not participate
            > in any offseason workouts if that move was made, leading one to believe
            > that he may not be willing to play under the Franchise Designation if it
            > came to that.

            Brother, Tebusty isn't willing participate at $3M
            per year. Is he one of the top 5 safeties in the NFL?
            No way!!! Yet the Pats are commintting to pay
            him as such. This guy isn't the brightest bulb in the
            shed. I hope he choses to sit out the entire season
            and tag him again next year. I wonder if Tebusty
            can spell F-O-R-E-C-L-O-S-U-R-E ???

            > The Patriots could remove the designation at any time and allow Jones to
            > become an unrestricted free agent.

            How about an hour befor e the KO to the opening game?

            > But it would still be a surprise if Jones was the Franchise Player come
            > September.

            Simply because he is not worth that kind of money.

            > NOTE: Belichick will fly to Indianapolis on Thursday for the Scouting
            > Combine which began Tuesday. Scott Pioli and the scouting staff has been
            > in Indianapolis all week.

            Looking for a FS, I hope.

            -bill
          • philw1776@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
              In a message dated 2/20/2003 2:29:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, beaulac@... writes:

              >NOTE: Belichick will fly to Indianapolis on Thursday for the Scouting
              >Combine which began Tuesday. Scott Pioli and the scouting staff has been
              >in Indianapolis all week.

                Looking for a FS, I hope.

              -bill

              I've been trying to tell folks that we DO NOT HAVE a starting FS on the Pats roster.
              This is a "problem".

              -philw
            • BB
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
                From: <PhilW1776@...>

                > I've been trying to tell folks that we DO NOT HAVE a starting FS on the
                Pats
                > roster.

                I we CERTAINLY DO NOT have one of the top 5 FS
                on the team.

                -bill
              • PatriotZip <patriotzip@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
                  I'm surprised by the tagging but not alarmed. I really believe this
                  is all about negotiations. The fact is Tebucky will earn too much
                  money in the free agent market if he gets there. He probably can get
                  a 3 Mill/Year deal WITH a signing bonus as well. Please note I am
                  not suggesting he's worth such, just that he can get such. I
                  understand why he and his agent won't be pleased. I completely
                  disagree with his choice to speak his mind and I heard those words
                  from his lips on the news last week. That attitude may be reasonable
                  to have but it isn't the one you present to the outside world - not
                  if you don't want to devalue yourself further. Pats-Freak and Bill
                  are right on the nose with his review of Tebucky. He can be a decent
                  enough starting free safety for this team but he is not a top notch
                  starting free safety. 'Tebusty' is a bit much for me mind you but
                  he's definitely not top 5. In fact after some consideration I'd put
                  him at about 16 in the league for free safety and I move him up a bit
                  on the overall scale for his special teams bonus which IS solid
                  though less so this last season.

                  My biggest concern is his workout comment which will likely encourage
                  the Pats to need to look elsewhere as they appoach deals with him.
                  When Adam was tagged I expected a deal to come forth soon but I'm not
                  confident with Tebucky. Fortunately we have Harris (Doh! - whom Phil
                  stopped refuting when he needed to respond to the actual performance
                  from the previous season). What's FS at for you Phil? 3?

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, philw1776@a... wrote:
> [...]
                  >
                  > But it would still be a surprise if Jones was the Franchise Player
                  come
                  > September. A longer-term deal would likely include cap-friendly
                  numbers
                  > in the early years of the contract. The Patriots aren't likely to
                  commit
                  > almost $10 million of the salary cap to the safety position,
                  although
                  > they could approach Milloy about a restructured deal that would
                  include
                  > guaranteeing more money to spread out his cap hit.
                  >
                  > Such credit card contracts are ones that Bill Belichick looks to
                  avoid
                  > when agreeing to deals with his players.
                  >
                  > NOTE: Belichick will fly to Indianapolis on Thursday for the
                  Scouting
                  > Combine which began Tuesday. Scott Pioli and the scouting staff has

                  HREF="http://bostonmedia.blogspot.com">http://bostonmedia.blogspot.com
                  </A>

                • philw1776@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 20, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/20/2003 5:18:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, patriotzip@... writes:

                    My biggest concern is his workout comment which will likely encourage
                    the Pats to need to look elsewhere as they appoach deals with him.
                    When Adam was tagged I expected a deal to come forth soon but I'm not
                    confident with Tebucky.  Fortunately we have Harris (Doh! - whom Phil
                    stopped refuting when he needed to respond to the actual performance
                    from the previous season).  What's FS at for you Phil?  3?

                    I posted my list.
                    Harris could not beat out the 16th best FS or his replacement (Green).  Yah, he's a  proven solution.  What kills me is visualizing a guy my size being part of the "hard-hitting safety tandem" of the NE Patriots.  Average NFL FSs are available thru FA at lots less than my man TBKY.  And unlike the SB season this past season TBKY did NOT make the big hits at FS or the spectacular ST plays of the SB year previous.

                    -philw
                  • George R
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 21, 2003
                      ***** Now we're back on the same track, Zip. I'm in total
                      agreement with your position and evaluation of Tebucky. I
                      must add that I'm very disappointed in his "no workout"
                      statement. A large part of the reason that I've been a
                      Tebucky fan since he got here has been his attitude, on and
                      off the field. This is the first negative I've seen from
                      him in that regard, and it will be a big one, if he carries
                      through with this threat.

                      =====
                      George
                      ** N E Patriots ....