Re: [patriotzip] Digest Number 353

  • BB
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----

      > From: "PatriotZip <patriotzip@...>
      > Subject: Seymour's Role
      >
      > I've heard and read a few of the reports about our new defensive end:
      > Richard Seymour. It is my belief we won't see quite so drastic a
      > change to Seymour's role. I think the Patriots will find a monster
      > Defensive Tackle in either draft or free agency. I think in standard
      > formations we will see Seymour and this new player at Defensive
      > Tackle. When we DO switch to the 3-4 look, Seymour will frequently
      > shift to end for that situation. In obvious passing situations this
      > may even occur with a 4-3 front in which Seymour gets to apply
      > pressure from the end but that will be the rarityt more than the norm.

      I would agree that it would be a mistake to move Seymour
      to being primarily a DE. This kid is big, strong, and quick
      enough to collapse the pocket, stop the run, and put pressure
      on the passer. I think the reason that we saw some dips in
      Seymour's play this year is two-fold. The offenses around the
      league were more aware of him, and he had a drop-off in the
      help he received from his fellow DLmen this season. Draft,
      and sign, a quality DT and DE to play each side of him and
      we may have a monster DLman in Seymour. Besides speed
      DE's being more plentiful, I just don't view Seymour's strength
      as being an edge rusher.

      -bill