Relax. Wait. Observe.

    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2014
      No, this was not an "exciting" draft for our Patriots. Our excitement this off-season came from their excellent work in the FA market; where they absolutely hit the jackpot!

      But, in this draft, the Patriots did address one of the biggest concerns that many of us had; depth and future potential in the Offensive Line. Three big boys, including a super smart Center from Stanford. Too bad Dante's gone, because there's a lot of very important coaching work to be done over the next two seasons for the OL. Hopefully, his teaching carries on with the new OL Coach, Dave DeGuglielmo. He certainly has plenty of experience, with 22 years of coaching experience, 9 of those in the NFL. But I worry a bit that he's not a true Dante disciple. Will there be a continuity problem? Oh well. The bottom line is that there has been significant attention paid to an area of significant need. All we can do is hope for success for both coaches and players this summer, and on.

      The rest of the draft was also focused primarily on depth and future potential. There are no immediate impact players in this crop, with the possible exception of Dominique Easley, in pass rush situations. Not one player is really expected to step in as a starter; although I'd love to see Stork, and possibly Halipio surprise me on that.

      While that's unusual, it's not reason to panic or sulk. This was, after all, a pretty damn good starting lineup going into the draft. Assuming that Gronk is highealthy to start the season, there are really only three starting spots that look weaker than I'd like: OC, ORG, and SS. That's not bad, when you consider the outstanding talent at most of the other starting spots.

      Not a glitz and glamour draft for our Patriots. But it contained a lot of reason for hope, when added to the outstanding FA work. And let's not forget that the FA work is far from over. Expect at least a couple of TE's to be brought in very quickly; one of them likely a vet (Keller?). And, of course, a fistful of other players that we've never really heard of from among the dozens of UDFA's sitting by their phones.

      The morning (for me) finished off with a big win for the Bruins, who now sit just one win away from advancing in the NHL playoffs. So I'll look forward to focusing most of my sports attention on them for the next month or so, as the Patriots sort things out and get ready to put together another Super Bowl winner!

      --- George

    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2014
        Two TEs in their UDFAs so far...

        Oklahoma RB Roy Finch; Eastern Carolina TE Justin Jones; Iowa LB James Morris; Delaware CB Travis Hawkins; North Carolina State TE Asa Watson; Michigan OLB Cameron Gordon

        fdb
      • Stephen Basile
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2014
          Every year, I think after the draft "What the HELL are they doing!?"  Like in 2010 when we drafted TWO tight ends for pete's sake when we already had 3 on the roster.  Sheesh.  What fools.

          Then, a couple of months later I enjoy another great season of football with a team built strong in many ways and assembled relying on data I don't have.

          Baze
          --
          Steve Basile
          Manager/Partner

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2014

            All in all, isn’t the draft at times just a crapshoot?

            You have all those college players—mostly good one, some maybe not so good.

            Transferring to the pros is a step that some of them aren’t able to do and other do better than expected.

            I think that it’s a huge assemblage of a showcase of players—some work out and some don’t.

            It’s really hard to tell at this point. So, I think that each team gets what they think they want or need but the real skill is to work the FA market.

            Those players are NFL-tested. Even those don’t always work out with their trades to different teams.

            AS George said, we had a pretty darn good FA season.

            GO PATS (and Bruins…)!!

            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2014
              Right, Steve. As I said, there's clearly been a lot of attention paid to areas that many of us felt needed help - the OL and the pass rush. We expected a RB (although most of us expected a "big back" to replace Blount). The QB is no surprise; just the spot where he was taken. Then again, you don't find a Tom Brady in R6 very often. :-)

              As I said, I think it was, overall, a good draft. It just wasn't a good one in the sense of any "obviously exciting" players.

              The team is solid. The moves made in FA were nearly all perfect, IMO. No worries here. Bring on training camp, and let's get this 2014 season going! (But I wouldn't mind seeing FA TE Keller or Finley added.)

              --- George
              All we can hope and strive for is a system of laws and education that minimizes the natural cruelty within man; and allows for survival of the fittest in social, as well as physical and economic terms.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 11, 2014
                Susan, I don't think there's an experienced GM in all of NFL history who hasn't been "surprised" in both directions (much better than expected; much worse than expected) by several of the picks he's made during his tenure. It's not exactly a crapshoot (an over used cliche); as, IMO, most of the picks made turn out within a reasonable range of what was expected of them. The outrageous exceptions (Tom Brady, Ryan Leaf) are infrequent, when you consider the number of players drafted each year.

                But we have to remember how much goes into the process. It begins with unknown, or little known scouts, scattered across the country, who are watching countless games in all or most of the colleges out there - and even in high schools (some of these kids are being tracked by the NFL throughout their amateur careers). How good are those scouts at rating talent? They are really the keys. Then there are trips by team "personnel" guys, and sometimes GMs themselves, to follow up on recommendations from the scouts. Then come the NCAA playoffs, bowl games, and all-star games. Then there's the Combine, and individual player workouts. (Each team has a different view of how much those "non-game" workouts mean to their total evaluation.)

                After, well actually during all that, you have to add in how each team factors in a player's "fit" to their particular system, their offensive and defensive philosophies, their evaluation of the talents and potential of their current players, and the resulting team needs. We fans have very limited knowledge (if any) of this last group of factors. They are all in the minds of the team staff, from owner, to GM, to Head Coach. Even most of the so-called "media experts" lack much of that knowledge. They're guessing almost as much as we are on those factors (although many of them have much more "insider information" than is available to us).

                So we can say that the draft is always a crapshoot for the fans and the media experts. But much less so for the guys in the War Rooms of NFL teams. But it's still much more an art than a science; and still always carrying a nerve wracking level of uncertainty for people whose future depends upon the performance of a group of 20-22 year old kids they select in the draft each year. :-)