Easley

  • David Brunat
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8 9:15 PM
      Once again, it appears BB reached. He often does to get a particular player they rated high. I thought Nix and Hagamen were better available DTs. Easley dropped because of an ACL injury, question is is his upside better than the other two DTs. Anybody have a clue why he made this pick?

      BrewGnat

      Sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8 9:25 PM
        How often have Patriots' fans asked that question over the past 15 years? All we can do is wait and see how the rest of the draft works out; and how it all works out on the field in a few months.

        That said, I do worry about the ACL recovery status. We all know that to be a very tough injury to get over.

        We now have 2 DTs that we hope to get a lot from in future years, Armstrong and Easley. They could turn out to be a solid center for several years, if both are healthy enough to stay on the field.

        --- George
        All we can hope and strive for is a system of laws and education that minimizes the natural cruelty within man; and allows for survival of the fittest in social, as well as physical and economic terms.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8 11:20 PM
          I just watched all of the video of him on the Pats' website. DAMN he's QUICK! If both of his knees are 100%, he's going to be a serious impact player on the Pat's DL playing beside Wilfork or Kelly (or Armstrong?), and inside Jones or Ninko. I really can't see any reason not to expect a consistently ferocious pass rush from a mix and match of Jones, Ninko, Smith, Easley, and Collins. All 4 of the veterans in that group have proven that they can bring it when they're able to let loose. With Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo back on the field, there'll be much more opportunity to let fly with at least 2 of those guys, now including Easley, in passing situations. Add the now very tough coverage from new CBs Reavis and Browner, and passing against this team may become a very dangerous adventure for opponents. ... Of course, there's still that one worry spot at SS. I lack confidence that the team is as strong as I'd like there. TE's, I think, can still hurt the current roster badly.

          But, back to the fun side. Picture this when the opponent is in an almost definite passing situation: Jailbreak pass rush with Jones, Easley, Ninko, and Hightower all coming from different angles, while Wilfork watches for the draw, Mayo spies on the QB, Collins and/or the SS dog the TE, the other takes the slot receiver, Reavis and Browner take away the 2 wideouts, and McCourty watches for a crossing route. I don't think that ends well for the opponent very often!

          Nothing is more exciting on defense than a quick, aggressive DL. I think we're going to see a lot of that in 2014. ... Are you ready, Peyton?

          --- George
          All we can hope and strive for is a system of laws and education that minimizes the natural cruelty within man; and allows for survival of the fittest in social, as well as physical and economic terms.
        • Mark Morse
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9 6:54 AM
            Because he is Bill Belichick and he knows somethig that everyone else doesn't.  His arrogance comes through again!

            I hate the pick ... 1st round should be for the sure thing!  D line was also a strength of this draft.  Easley will be in on the Nickle Packages, which the Patriots now play a majority of the time.  I think they have a bigger problem on the O Line and would rather of had Joel Bitonio at 29.

            High Risk - High Reward?

            Mark Morse
            Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

            Once again, it appears BB reached. He often does to get a particular player they rated high. I thought Nix and Hagamen were better available DTs. Easley dropped because of an ACL injury, question is is his upside better than the other two DTs. Anybody have a clue why he made this pick?

            BrewGnat

            Sent from my iPad

          • frankdanabrewster
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9 7:29 AM
              A question about ACLs. I've read that when a pitcher has Tommy John surgery, the elbow can often be stronger and more durable than it was before. Has anyone heard this about ACLs; that the ligament (depending upon where they get it) and the attachments can be made better than they were naturally? I don't hear about the same ACL tearing twice very often.

              Just hopefully curious...