Johnny Football?

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2014
      Manzel and Bortles are both visiting the Pats, so it is written. Is BB starting to consider life without Brady? I'm sure he wants someone here for at least a couple years with Tom, before he takes over, though neither of these two will be available at 29.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2014
        I saw that report, Frank. We never know when BB is serious, or just throwing up a smoke screen. As you say, the only way he could get to either of those two would be a major trade up.

        Would it shock me? Not really. Here's why ... This team doesn't have truly horrible holes in it. Many of us have expressed an opinion that there's a need to improve at C. and add another TE, and depth (future starter) at DT/NT. But can the team be playoff bound without adding top players at these positions? I'd say that it can.

        Then there's the Brady situation. He IS nearing the end of his wonderful career. One year? Two? Three? It could be any of those; and it's doubtful that he can perform at a high level beyond that. So why not ask the question (with a workout and interview) "Is one of the QB's in the current crop good enough to become the Patriots' next franchise QB?"

        As I said, could be just another BB smokescreen, or even a desire to try to ID weaknesses for when we face these guys later. But the timing suggests to me that an attempt to get one of them is not out of the question.

        --- George
        All we can hope and strive for is a system of laws and education that minimizes the natural cruelty within man; and allows for survival of the fittest in social, as well as physical and economic terms.

        On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM, <frank.dana@...> wrote:

        Manzel and Bortles are both visiting the Pats, so it is written. Is BB starting to consider life without Brady? I'm sure he wants someone here for at least a couple years with Tom, before he takes over, though neither of these two will be available at 29.

        fdb

      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2014
          Why the heck did they interview Manzel, they said. He'll never be there at 29, they said...

          http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-shaun-king-s-2-0-nfl-mock-draft-for-2014-173020242-nfl.html

          fbd

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2014
              Don't know much about Eric Edholm at Yahoo sports, but check out his pick at #29... Is he serious?

              http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-mock-draft--who-teams-will--and-who-they-should--take-192114603.html

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
                Well, Frank, I no longer study the draft class enough to name names. However, as I said earlier, that it's very possible that BB's strategy in bringior TEng in all 3 of the top QBs for visits was to set up just such a trade. There are always questions about the risks of taking a QB with a high R1 pick. One or more teams who need a QB may well pass on using their high R! pick for a QB; but will desperately want one of the top 3 with their R2 pick, should that QB fall to the Patriots' #29 pick.

                I would not be at all surprised if this scenario happens on May 8: Patriots trade their R1 pick (#29) to ??? for that team's high R2 pick +++, and the Patriots then take the top C or TE (according to their value rating) with that pick.

                If it happens, do I get a t-shirt? :-)