3 Key signees....

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2014

      According to Yahoo (sometimes for what that’s worth), there are 3 key players to sign:

      Edelman of course, Blount, and Talib.

      In this case, I agree with this assessment.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2014
        Yes on all 3. But we need another cover corner; because Talib has that chronic hip injury that keeps him either off the field, or playing at 80%, far too often. Ryan Logan may continue to improve, and take care of that need. Along with Dennard, that 3-some is pretty solid, when they're all healthy. Just have to see how things develop with Logan and Dennard, who are both still very young.

        --- George
        All we can hope and strive for is a system of laws and education that minimizes the natural cruelty within man; and allows for survival of the fittest in social, as well as physical and economic terms.

        On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Susan Moore <scmoore90@...> wrote:

        According to Yahoo (sometimes for what that’s worth), there are 3 key players to sign:

        Edelman of course, Blount, and Talib.

        In this case, I agree with this assessment.

      • Mark Morse
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
          Susan, George

          I don't consider Blount a key signee!  He telegraphs the teams intention when he comes in the game (thats how Denver knew to stack the box) ... their running and thats it!  He caught one pass all year and he is a terrible pass blocker!

          You still have Ridley, Vereen and Bolden and can add a cheap RB in FA or the draft.

          I would sign Dane Fletcher 1st and let Spikes walk!  I would re-structure Connolly and let Wendell walk.  Draft an OC (there are several available).  Try and sign a outside WR threat (Emmanuel Sanders) and try and convince Tony Gonzalez to come out of retirement.

          Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
            So you're telling me, Mark, that the Patriots couldn't use play action passes when Blount was on the field? They couldn't throw WR screens when Blount was on the field; or a quick slant pass? All I can say to that is that it was McDaniel's play calling, not Blount's presence on the field that telegraphed the team's intention. I never have liked McDaniel's play calling; and I doubt that I ever will.

            There are many options for plays other than a handoff to Blount when he's on the field. Personally, I was very it disappointed that we didn't see more of them against Denver.

            And are you telling me that Buffalo and Indianapolis never stacked the box to stop Blount when he was setting rushing records against them? The fact is that, for whatever reason, or combination of reasons, the Patriots OL played a LOUSY game against the Broncos; as did the Patriots DL. That's where the game was lost; in the trenches.

            If the defense could have done a better job of limiting the Broncos possession time and scoring, the Patriots could have stayed with the run more until it weakened the Denver defense against it. As it was, the Patriots were forced to virtually abandon the run in order to try to keep up with Manning.

            Blount's ability as a power back, with decent speed, is an invaluable asset to the team. Every NFL coach repeats the mantra that you need a power running game to win in the playoffs. And you need it against particular opponents throughout the season, as well.

            I say sign Blount, and dump Bolden. What the hell does he add to the team that Blount, Ridley and Vereen (plus a FA or DP) can't do?

            As for the rest of it, I agree with most of what you're saying, with the exception of Gonzalez. He's no longer a serious threat for more than a 1st down or two. At TE, get Gronk back healthy, and hope there's a R1 value there at TE when our pick comes along. Top priority, IMO; with the OL second.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
              Denver had the 6th ranked run defense in the league!   When Buffalo and Indy stacked the line Blount gashed them for big runs.  It was also bad weather in both games not the idyllic 60 degree temps in Denver.  Blount is going to ask for and get a contract in the range of what BJGE got.  He will be gone just like BJGE too!

              Denver dared Tom Brady to beat him and he couldnt.  He completed one pas for more than 20 yards downfield and that was to Dobson who ran a great route.  Brady did run two beautiful play action misdirection passes and overthrew the wide open receivers.

              Gonzalez would be nothing more than an option to move the chains.  Who had a greater Yards Per Cach last year  Hernandez or Woodhead?  It was Woodhead.   Gonzalez would carry the load until / if Gronk gets back.  He then becomes a very attractive alternative if you load up on Gronk.

              I see the Pats taking two TE's in this draft (Troy Niklas 6'6" 270lbs from Notre Dame and Richard Rogers 6' 4" 245 from Cal)

              As far as the O line goes I think Wendell is allowed to walk and Connolly takes a pay cut.  An OC and OT are drafted.  There are 4 pretty good OC's in the draft and you can get them from rd 2 to rd 5.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2014
                I believe that the Patriots will re-sign Blount. IMO, it will be a mistake if they fail to do so.

                I'm with you on Brady. I don't think he has another Super Bowl in him. I hope I'm wrong; but that's what I see. As you said, his deep game is gone. It has been for a couple of years. And now his consistent accuracy on the short and intermediate stuff has decreased. The only thing keeping him afloat is his ability to read defenses. It's time to get serious about a replacement for our certain HOF QB.

                I do hope you're right about drafting 2 TEs. They certainly need at least one from the very early rounds. Then either another later, or a solid FA.

                Likewise on the OL situtation. Upgrade is needed there.