Game Sunday?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2014

      What does anyone think are our realistic chances to win this weekend?

      My gut says yes, my heart says yes, but what is the reality?

      The oddsmakers say no…

      I know we won’t know until it’s over (or sometimes while it’s going on).

      I sure hope we can go in there and drop a can of whoopee on Pay-me-ATON and company.

      Also, gut reaction for San Fran vs. Hags??

      Would love to see the 49ers dump the same can on arrogant Pete, etc.

      Did anyone read that the Hags aren’t letting anyone buy tickets from anywhere except 6 states?

      California is not one of them so as to keep the 49ers fans out.

      Didn’t Isray do the same thing to the Pats some years back, to freeze their fans out?

      ANYWAY…GO PATS vs. 49ers in the SB!!!!!!!!!

      Pats win overall…right??

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2014
        I think that the Patriots will be able to move the ball and score with reasonable effectiveness against the Broncos. Susan. (This in spite of the fact that the Broncos are pulling the same "pick the brain of a former Patriot" tactic that the Colts tried. They just picked up former Patriot CB Maurice Cole to replace their injured CB, Harris.)

        The key to the game for our team is whether they can stop the Broncos offense.

        As always, the key to stopping a Peyton Manning offense is to get consistent significant pressure on him up the middle. Move him out of the pocket, and he's not more than 75% of the QB that he is in the pocket. The problem is that, while everybody knows that, few have been able to do it; whether in Indy or in Denver.

        There are two primary reasons for the failure to get that pressure. The first is that, like Brady, he is outstanding at reading the D, and anticipating what's coming. The second is that he releases the ball so quickly and accurately that the defenders just don't have time to get to him.

        I think we need to keep rotating our guys in the middle (Siliga, Chris Jones, and Vellone) to keep them as fresh as possible. I'd also like  to see a lot of blitzing up the middle, but not necessarily always from the inside LBs. Lots of stunting and looping would be a good strategy, IMO; but it has to be FAST, because of Peyton's quick release.

        As for the coverage, I'd play up close on the receivers for most of the snaps. Again, that's to minimize the success of the quick pass by Peyton to avoid the rush. Never rush less than 5. Put a "spy" on Brown (Hawthorne and Fletcher alternating) to limit the draws, screens, and flat passes. That leaves 5 to assign to the receivers; at least 3 of whom should be up in bump and run coverage.

        Tell Matt Patricia to go home. I got this! :-)

        --- George
        Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2014

          THANKS, George!!

          Makes me feel pretty confident for the weekend.

          I think that we can (and will) do it..maybe not easy, but we’ll do it.

          GO PATS!!