Dobson to IR?

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2013
      From Reiss's mailbag today:

      "I [Reiss] don't think anyone would be surprised if Aaron Dobson lands on
      season-ending injured reserve after hobbling off with his foot injury
      against the Bills. So his contributions are obviously in question."

      There are also rumors of a stress fracture.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rich@...
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2013

        Is Austin Collie still on speed dial?

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2013
          I thought the same about Dobson when he limped off, Rich. Too bad. I think he was coming along well when the injury took him down a few games back. As long as he heals well, I believe we can count on him as a better than average outside WR next season.

          I think Thomkins is going to be a keeper, as well. I'm not sure either way on Boyce. He may be developing OK, but we really haven't seen enough of him in games to be certain.

          In any case, I don't see WR as a major need in off season; but I surely wouldn't object to picking up a solid vet from FA.

          TE has to be the greatest need. Whether from FA and/or the draft, I think the Patriots need to get one very good one, and one good one during the off season. That's really a weak spot in the offense right now.

          I go with TE, OL, NT/DT (got to get ready to replace Vince in a year or two) as our top 3 needs.

          --- George
          Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

          From Reiss's mailbag today:

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2013
            I'm wondering how Thompkins is doing. I still believe he has tremendous potential; but he, like Dobson, has been in and out of the lineup for most of the last half of the season. Maybe BB is saving him as a secret weapon for the playoffs?

            Speaking of secret weapons, I'm also wondering if, during the bye week they've earned, the Patriots will work in a few plays for our blocking TE Mulligan. That could really sneak up on whichever team we host on Jan 11!

            On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 7:53 AM, <frank.dana@...> wrote:

            Is Austin Collie still on speed dial?

            fdb

          • frankdanabrewster
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2014

              Well, you were close, George. Boyce has been IR'd, and Collie is back.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2014

                It’s giving me whiplash…lol!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2014
                  Yeah, damn it! Once again, as has been the case for nearly every game this season, Belichick will be challenged to come up with game plans and plays that surprise and confuse the opponent, rather than just put a team of better athletes on the field, and let them win it. (Have I mentioned that I think this is his most brilliant coaching season ever; and that he deserves to be Coach of the Year?) ;-)

                  My guess is that, at this point, BB and his staff have 3 preliminary game plans already in place for next weekend. (They can't play SD, because if the Chargers win, they'd be the lowest seed, and would play DEN.) Once they learn whether they'll host the Chiefs (If they win, it's them), Colts (if they and the Chargers win), or Bengals (if they and the Colts win); the Patriots coaching staff will have time to refine the game plan for that team, based upon what they see this weekend, and install it for the team. This extra week will not be wasted by Belichick. It's valuable time for the coaching staff.

                  My analysis, BTW, is that the Chiefs D is stronger vs the Colts O, relatively, than is the case for the Colts D vs the Chiefs O. I think the Patriots will be hosting the Chiefs next week. Also think the Bengals will be flying UP to Denver next week.