It Is Over For The Patriots

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2013
      Yeah, I know that they went 5-1 without Gronk to start the season. But they played nobody; and we had Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, and a healthy Talib for most of those games. Our defense is now held together with spit and chewing gum, and, without a powerful offense to support it, it cannot stand up against most teams.

      I believe they will lose their next two games, both on the road, against the Dolphins and the Ravens. Both are very good defensive teams, and the Patriots simply do not have the weapons to defeat them; especially since the defense, decimated by injuries as it is, has no hope of stopping the running game of either team.

      I honestly can't say that I've enjoyed this season. The avalanche of major injuries has just been too depressing to watch.

      There's a very good chance that they may lose the Division Championship to the Dolphins, whose last 3 games are at home against the Patriots, Bills, and Jets. The Dolphins can definitely win all 3 of those, and they'll win the AFC East if they do so.

      The Patriots may still back into the playoffs, either as the Division Champion, or as a Wild Card. But, if that does happen, it will be a painful "one and done" experience.

      Luck simply did not smile on our team this year.

      --- George
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • Ed Bryant
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2013
        It is indeed belief, because one cannot know until they play the games, which is not only the point of the games, but also the joy of the games.

        Logan Ryan, Sealver Siliga, Shane Vereen, Duran Harmon, Jamie Collins, Will Svitek, Matthew Mulligan, Andre Carter, Steve Gregory, and Dane Fletcher have yet to play their best football this season.  Vince, Rob, Sebass, Tommy, and Jerod have given us what they will, and they are all missed each time they are not available, but until and unless you know whether the other team is more banged up than ours is, you're merely indulging in pessimism.

        Has any Patriots injury had any bearing on whether Denver loses their first playoff game?  Perhaps if a loss to the Ravens contributes to sending the Ravens to Denver, where their mission would be to emulate the 2010 Jets and upset on the road a team that trounced them earlier?

        The Bengals are probably the healthiest, and they must do without Geno, the best DL in the league, just maybe!

        Any team with 11 of 13 decided by a TD or less sitting 10 and 3 must not claim to have had no luck.

        We lost to Baltimore without Gronkowski and without Talib in the second half of that game.  We all know how we might lose; either we beat ourselves, or the other team beats us.  Here's how we win: we don't beat ourselves, and the other team doesn't beat us.

        I don't know why I bother, since the Jets seemed determined run the table and finish 12 and 4, but in the event George was wrong in October, maybe pessimism isn't infallible in December!  It just got a lot tougher, but at least the bandwagon will get a couple more miles per gallon now!!

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2013
          Just one small, but important correction, Ed. I remain firmly seated on the Patriots' bandwagon, in terms of being a fan, and always hoping for victory.

          What you (and many others, I'm sure) view as pessimism, I view as realism. I look at the strengths of the teams the Patriots are about to play, and, when I put them up against the Patriots weaknesses, I see a strong probability that the opponents will come out on top.

          That is, of course, never a certainty in the NFL. The "On any given Sunday ... " cliche has become cliche for good reason. Super 36 was, perhaps, our most rewarding reminder of that. Last week's extremely improbable comeback win was another. Our earlier victories over New Orleans and Denver also have to be viewed as wonderful surprises.

          I hope for a few more such surprises during the rest of this season, beginning with a win in Miami next Sunday. But I can't claim confidence that it will happen ... only hope. Those pesky things called facts indicate otherwise to me.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013

            I think that some seasons are encouraging and others are discouraging…the 2007 fall was one that many of us thought would result in a SB title, but we know how that turned out.

            Think of the Giants fans that year…they were mumbling and grumbling and assuming they were not on the playoff list. As odious as it is to even write this reminder, it’s making a point.

            We don’t know the outcome of any given season, much less any given game—except maybe the 1985/86 Bears (grrrrrrr….no pun intended).

            Sometimes when I get a small rant going, George reminds me that it is only the game we have coming up that matters. SO, I’m going to take his advice and focus on this Sunday only.

            I don’t think that we need to project that the Fish are going to take the title from us or that the Jets are going to win the division…good lord almighty, NOOOOOOO.

            I honestly don’t think that is going to happen.

            Even if we have some games determined by a few points, those same Bears in Chicago had more than their share of games they barely squeaked by. But in the end you sort of knew they would win.

            Yes, they had that defense, but as you said many of our players have not lived up to their potential. Let’s hope they can in the next few games!

            Yeah, the bandwagon will get better gas mileage soon…lol! NOT because any of us is stepping off of course.

            The ones right now that Atlas himself could not lift up would be the Broncos and Seahags…those two could not even run on gas at all.

            That’s what people do…jump on the one that they think will win and many times they are wrong.