Quiet Appreciation

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2013
      I could say many things about the Patriots improbable, nearly miraculous comeback win over the Broncos; but I know that most of you on this distribution list don't want to read or hear any of it. So I've taken a deep breath, and a double shot of Double Black, and I'll apply maximum restraint to my comments. :-) (Looking forward to the next double shot that awaits my attention!)

      Let me start with the fact that I am very happy that the Patriots' 12th man, Caicias, Greek god of the northeast wind,  was on the field with them Sunday evening. Seattle can keep their noisy fans. I'll take that wind every time!

      I'm also very happy that Bill Belichick's players, both on offense and on defense, have a lot more of the "60 minutes spirit" in them than I do. ... Yeah, I thought it was over when the Broncos scored their 3rd TD to go up 24-0. Of course I did.

      I kept watching and hoping. But, at that point, I thought they had about as much chance of winning this one as Americans have of seeing Obama impeached. (After what happened in this game; maybe I have to keep hoping for that, too!)  :-)

      IMO, Bill Belichick and Andy Reid are the only 2 candidates for Coach of the Year this season. Reid has turned around one of the worst teams in the NFL. Belichick has somehow kept a badly damaged team in contention for one of the 2 bye weeks in the playoffs. Both have achieved maximum production with very limited assets. If I had to vote today, I'd give it to Reid, by a nose. Really. Because Belichick has Brady, while Reid has Alex Smith. And I am absolutely certain that the Belichick-Brady combination is the best HC-QB duo in the history of the NFL.

      Just one final note on Belichick. Do think any other coach in the league would have made the decision to take the wind, rather than the ball, in the OT, with Peyton Manning as the QB of the other team? I think that decision ranks right up there with Sean Payton's decision to try an onside kick to start the 2nd half in Super Bowl 44.

      One final comment on the long running QB comparison. Brady and Manning are 2 of the best QBs to ever play the game. My opinion is that Manning has superior physical skills. But, in the crunch, the record speaks for itself. Brady is superior under adverse conditions; and Brady is the more "clutch" of the two. This game was just further evidence of that.

      (Oh, I'm betting that Stephen Ridley is GONE from this team next season. If the trade deadline hadn't already passed, he'd be gone this week. Too bad. He's a decent kid. But I think his fumble in this game was the proverbial "straw". He may be on Special Teams for the rest of this season, in a non ball handling role.)

      --- George
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2013

         As the clock ran out on the first half, I determined that an extra hour and a half of sleep was much more productive than subjecting myself to this debacle. BUT, since we were receiving the 2nd half kick, I decided to see if they were capable of holding on to the ball, and putting any kind of drive together. After Edelman caught that first TD, sleep could wait.

        If this team needed any object lesson in the meaning of "never quit", they got it last night. I don't know what BB said at the half, but it hit home. Edelman and Thompkins came out of nowhere in the second half.

        Good to see that they can go to their 3rd and 4th RBs, and be successful. Yes, George. I'm afraid Ridley's days are numbered.

        I emember Faulk going through this early in his career, but he got it fixed, and became Mr. Reliable. I don't see that happenning with Ridley.

        Was Dobson active? I didn't see him, or hear his name all night.

        I'm amazed at how well that thin, inexperienced secondary played. Ryan and Harmon are definitely maturing quickly. We still miss Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo. It's a hot knife through butter up the middle.

        Gutsy call on the OT coin flip. BB knew Manning was struggling in the elements. I think I heard this morning that his QB rating was 19 into the wind last night. BB was confident that the D could turn it into sudden death, and he'd have Gostkowski, with the wind at his back.

        Amendola wasn't a factor, but Welker dropped a couple, and should have fair-caught that final punt. You don't allow an unpredictable bounce like that in OT. And I think he called it off too late. Tough way to lose a game, but who am I to complain.  :o)

        fdb

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2013

              I like all of your “quiet” analysis, George!

              Compliments my kneejerk posts, either to the good or the ugly.

              Sometimes this game is just beyond emotional…lol!

              What would you have said that we don’t want to hear?

              The TV said that this WAS the best comeback that the team has had.

              I personally had turned it off because I just didn’t want to keep getting upset.

              Wish I had recorded it so I could savor it now, knowing what happened.

              I agree with your assessment of the coaches and the QBs, although I would most likely take TB over PP but I do have to give credence to PP’s skills of course.

              The Patriots with BB are one of the best teams to ever have played and I know they do their halftime adjustments, but I just didn’t think it was going to happen this time.

              Glad it did…they are way too good to not do that.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 25, 2013

                  AAHH…gotcha!!