Don't blame the officials for the loss...

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
      But how is that not interference? How can Gronk have any chance of coming back for that pass while he's being tackled?

      But we have to play better than that on defense.

      fbn
    • Steve Basile
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
        Holding.  Pure and simple.  5 yards. 1st down.

        PI is a harder call to make, but not impossible.

        Truth is, we had 4 crappy penalties that cost us the game, and three were well deserved.  Talib was out of control and should have been benched immediately after his childish and amateurish outburst.  He was PLAYED by Steve Smith and sucked n to his BS and it was dangerous and embarrassing.  Sorry for the language but he was an A*Hole.  Mankins' blunder was bad , but Talib's actions and the failure of the coaches to rein his baby antics in were inexcusable and unPatriotic.

        The team that played tonight will be mopped off the field by a Broncis team playing at half-speed.

        Disgusted.

        Basile

        Sent from an oddly attractive but flat device lacking a keyboard.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013

          When the officials want to help another team along besides us….then it’s not interference.

          Sure looked like interference to me and TB and another players were mad as h - - - at the end.

          UGGGHHHH….gag me with a spoon, that didn’t taste or smell good tonight.

          And we had a fairly healthy and decently complete roster tonight, didn’t we?

          Interference is called and we very well could have gotten the winning score, but we also might not have scored.

          But we got gypped out of that chance.

          You are right though…we need to play better defense and not hope we squeak by at the end.

          BTW….didn’t change the channel fast enough so I saw the clip on Cam Newton being interviewed.

          Have to say I was impressed…he seemed very well spoken and very humble. Is that true?

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
            Absolutely one of the worst calls, or, in this case, OVERRULED calls, I've ever seen. Seriously. So totally obvious, meeting every criteria I've ever heard explained for PI.

            If anybody sees or hears an explanation from anyone representing the officials, please pass it along here.

            (And somebody check to see if he or his wife had money on the Panthers!)

            --- George
            Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
              Yes, Steve, at the very LEAST that was blatant "Illegal Contact". To have no call on that was outrageous.

              You're 100% correct about the Patriots poor discipline; and about the failure of the coaches to talk Talib down. That type of crap is Smith's game, and always has been. No way an experienced pro should let it get to him.

              Still, those are players. I hate seeing any game decided on the final play by a bad officiating decision! It should have been the Patriots' ball for one more untimed play.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
                Everything I've seen of Cam Newton says "class act" to me, Susan. He's an intelligent, articulate kid; as well as an extremely talented athlete.

                As for the health of our team, we were missing our #2 CB, Dennard. That cost us on a few plays; in particular the completion and TD to Ginn for winning TD. That would have been Dennard in coverage on him, rather than Arrington. No way to know that it would have made a difference; but it can be said with certainty that Dennard is a better CB than Arrington.

                I have nothing but congratulations to the Patriots' defense for their overall play without so many of their best defensive players. Losing Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Gregory, and now Dennard, is an incredible handicap. They always come with the cliche that "injuries are not excuses." Well, maybe not. But they sure as hell are solid REASONS for a team playing at less than its best.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 19, 2013

                    Does anyone watch The Herd with Colin Cowherd on ESPN?

                    I’ve seen him before but hadn’t paid much attention.

                    Just saw it right now and he was listing his top 10 for the week.

                    His reasons for placement seem to be unbiased and have definite concrete reasons behind them

                    For us? He placed us at #6, but said that the loss yesterday was a fantastic loss if you will.

                    Said that if we can go into Carolina, with that stingy defense and Newton playing well, AND be one play away from victory with a “non-call” then we’d be able to play with anyone in the league.

                    I actually do think that we can definitely beat the Broncos next week and it seems as if he does too. Only ONE of their victories came again a winning team (Chiefs).

                    I just hope that our defense can put more pressure on PP than the Chiefs did…many times he was just standing there waiting to throw or pass and no one could get to him.

                    Someone should if we try right? Maybe stupid question but I think that it’s possible.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 19, 2013
                      Among other circumstances, once the QB releases the ball defensive holding and illegal contact are off the table by rule.  It's DPI or nothing in that event.

                      --
                      Rich Carreiro

[...]

                    • Stephen Basile
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 2013
                        I did not know that.  Thanks.

                        Baze

                        --
                        Steve Basile
                        Manager/Partner

                        On Nov 19, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Rich Carreiro <rich@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • Ed Bryant
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 19, 2013
                          George, here's what you can do.  You can begin with Bill Barnwell on Grantland, and when you read what he says, remember that he doesn't address what Lester did.

                          Next, there's someone named Seifert at NFL.com, not George Seifert, but Seifert made the point today that the rules seem to say that holding is no longer an option once the ball is in the air, at which point it has to be PI or not, but can't be holding.

                          Now, then.  Pay no attention to what Kuechly did, and note instead where Kuechly, Gronkowski, and Lester were at the moment when Kuechly began repeatedly stabbing Gronkowski and otherwise drawing attention away from Lester.  Lester touches Gronk's shoulder, and just as such a light brush would be "down by contact" in another context, it was a foul that sent Gronkowski the critical inch to where his momentum plus Kuechly's mugging propel him out of any chance to reverse his direction and catch the underthrown, back foot pass.  Lester is guilty of PI right there, if the ball is already launched, or holding if not.   If the rules justify making neither call on Kuechly, then Lester's "crime" may have been a lesser mugging, but the ball was certainly not uncatchable for Gronk when Lester touched him, and uncatchable has nothing to do with it if he held him (cuz the ball wasn't launched yet).   For Gerry Austin last night to say there was no PI was disingenuous, and Gruden and Tirico pushed him far enough for him to acknowledge the play should have been parsed for holding.  As far as I know, I am the only lawyer pushing the idea that the letter and spirit of the law can be served by flagging Lester.

                          PS: Now that yahoo makes me "reply to a conversation," is it so that I can't change the "subject" line?