The DAMNJETS

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2013
      Yes, it's one word! :-)

      I noted in my response to Frank's schedule look head that I think the Jets are likely to be right on the Patriots' tail throughout the rest of the season. The rest of their schedule is very weak, to the point where they could actually sweep their remaining games. Take a look.

      After their bye this week, they are: @ BUF; @ BAL; vs MIA; vs OAK; @ CAR; vs CLE; @ MIA. None of those games will see them as a major underdog. Not at all inconceivable that they could win them all, and finish 12-4. If the Patriots lose 2 more games - say to DEN and BAL, which, as I noted earlier, I consider likely; the Jets and Patriots would finish in a W-L tie for the AFC East title.

      Tiebreakers?

      Well, the first one is head-to-head games. We split. That loss to them was HUGE! Still tied.

      Next tiebreaker is Division record, which, due to the mess in Miami, may also be a tie, with matching 5-1 records, each team's only loss to the other. Still tied.

      Next in line is Common Opponents. Currently, the Patriots hold a 1 game lead here; as we beat the Steelers, while the Jets lost to them. Both teams lost to the Bengals. Both teams beat the Saints and Falcons. Common games remaining on the schedule, the most likely determining tiebreaker, are the Ravens, Panthers, and Browns. In all three games the venues will be the same - Patriots and Jets home vs the Browns; and on the road vs the Ravens and Panthers. My prediction could end it here. If the Jets do manage to sweep, and, as I fear, the pumped up Ravens beat the hated Patriots in Baltimore ... it will be the Jets winning the AFC East. :-(

      So the upcoming game against the Panthers, following the Patriots' bye week, is critical. ... Yeah, I know. In the scenario I've laid out, they're ALL critical! And then we have to hope that the Panthers take down the Jets in Week 15, if the Jets have won everything prior to that.

      The final tiebreaker we can look at easily is record in the AFC. At present, the Patriots are in good shape here. Outside of the Division, they've lost only to the Bengals; while the Jets have lost to the Bengals, Titans, and Steelers. BUT ... The Jets have only the Ravens, Raiders, and Browns left on their AFC schedule; while the Patriots have the Ravens, Browns, Texans and Broncos. So, if the Patriots lose to both the Ravens and Broncos; while the Jets sweep in getting to their 12-4 record; this tiebreaker will also come out even, with AFC records of 3-3.

      Does your head hurt yet? :-) Well, if not, think about this ...

      If all of that happens, we get to tiebreakers that I can't even begin to speculate on at this point.
      1. Strength of victory.
      2. Strength of schedule.
      3. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
      4. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
      5. Best net points in common games.
      6. Best net points in all games.
      7. Best net touchdowns in all games.
      8. Coin toss
      So let's just be happy with where the team is today; and, as someone may have said before, "take it one game at a time". Every game from here on, for both the Patriots and the Jets, is critical. Begin with a win over the Panthers in 2 weeks, and hope that the Bills upset the Jets up in Buffalo, as they nearly did the Patriots in the first game of the season! It's nice to think about the possibility of having HFA in the Playoffs; but, to paraphrase Ford, winning the AFC East is JOB 1!

      --- George
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2013

        Good lord almighty, George!

        I have a splitting headache from this for sure…lol!

        Let’s hope we do OUR job and also get some help from some other teams.

        GO PATS!!!

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2013

            Well, I’m headed to the liquor store right now!!!!

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2013
              If it's Glenlivet or Patron, invite me over for the par-tay!

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2013
                George, please relax.  After we lost to Cleveland in 2010, you said we might not win another game for a month.

                Those tie-breakers you don't want to get a headache doing?  For starters, the Common Opponent Combined Ranking puts NE way ahead of NY Jets, and the net TD thing, after Cincinnati 49, NY Jets 9 and NE P 55, Pittsburgh 31?  Um, we're good and their as far in the red as you'd expect given how many more points they've given up than scored!

                The tie-breaker, though, will be three more win than they have, unless it's a greater margin!  No offense, but the Jets have no offense!

                Worry about getting Bill Leavy in January !!!!!  That might happen!!!!!!