Remaining schedule

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013

      At the begining of each season we look at the schedule, and try to predict wins and losses. This is based upon what our opponents looked like last season, and what changes have occurred with those teams (and our own). At this point in the season we usually find that some of those evaluations were not entirely accurate. Looking at or remaining schedule, which games look different than we originally though;

      @ Carolina - This looked like a fairly safe win in September. I still call it a win, but they look more formidable than I anticipated. Newton has matured to a large degree, and they have been improving as the season progressed. If we weren't coming off a bye, I might call this a loss, but...  (W)

      Denver - Definitely the toughest test on the remaining schedule. It is at home, but unless our secondary is at full strength and playing well, and can put pressure on Goober, we might not be able to keep up.  (L)

      @ Houston - This looked like a tough game in week 1, but once again, they have fallen apart as the season has progressed. This one should be easier than I had anticipated.  (W)

      Cleveland - This one looks about as winable as it did at the begining of the season. Jason Cambell seems to have breathed a little life into them, but definitely beatable at Gillette.  (W)

      @ Miami - I felt they were the only team that could possibly give us problems in the division. I think this internal turmoil they are going through will leave a mark, and they will fade. Even in Miami, I call this a win.  (W)

      @ Baltimore - I pegged this as a tough game, and possible loss, especially away. Not any more. The Ravens have fallen on hard time, and are a shell of their SB winning selves.  (W)

      Buffalo - Certainly better than I thought they would be at the begining of the season. If Manuel is healthy, they could compete with us. But I still don't see them coming out of Gillette with a victory. Even if we have nothing to play for, BB won't let up.  (W)

      Well, there you have it,  13-3.

      Hard to believe, if it really falls that way, considering all the off-season change.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013

        Interesting calls, Frank!

        Sure hope it turns out that way!

        13-3 would be great….

        I think that we could beat the Broncos because at this point, they haven’t beaten a team with a winning record and have struggled with a few others.

        Plus, we’ll be getting some players back from injuries won’t we?

        GO PATS!!!!

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013
          Do you realize you denied the existence of an importance of the defenses on each of our remaining opponents?

          I ask because Denver may not be able to play defense, and because defense may make Carolina the best team in the league at the moment.

          Miami and Buffalo both have defenses, and in Buffalo's case, they have significantly better personnel available from when we escaped their place with a win in September.

          As for the location of these games, it's just harder to win on the road, and the biggest aspect of this is whether that was just a good defensive play or pass interference!  I'm glad Denver is coming here, and I'm rooting for Kansas City to win the division so Denver will have to play its playoff games on the road.

          You may very well be right about 13-3, though.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013
              I'll chime in with a comment or two on this critical subject, Frank.

              --- George
              Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

              On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM, <frank.dana@...> wrote:

              At the begining of each season we look at the schedule, and try to predict wins and losses. This is based upon what our opponents looked like last season, and what changes have occurred with those teams (and our own). At this point in the season we usually find that some of those evaluations were not entirely accurate. Looking at or remaining schedule, which games look different than we originally though;

               Happens every season, Frank. One of the most exciting things about the NFL is the fact that nothing is certain at the beginning of the year. ... Except, of course, that the Jets suck!

              @ Carolina - This looked like a fairly safe win in September. I still call it a win, but they look more formidable than I anticipated. Newton has matured to a large degree, and they have been improving as the season progressed. If we weren't coming off a bye, I might call this a loss, but...  (W)

              I expect this to be a very tough game. The Panthers now have a triple headed monster at RB, with Stewart back to join Williams and Tolbert for "custom made" running plays. That, and the clear improvement in Newton that you mentioned; plus one of the best D's in the NFL; PLUS playing at home, where the only team to beat them was the Seahawks, puts this into the 'toss up' category for me. I worry most about that D: 2nd best in the NFL in points allowed; 3rd in Yds/Gm; 10th in Pass Yds/Gm. Tough to move the ball and score on them! I'm giving the Patriots an ever so close victory in this one; but I'm not sure if it's with my head or my heart!

              Denver - Definitely the toughest test on the remaining schedule. It is at home, but unless our secondary is at full strength and playing well, and can put pressure on Goober, we might not be able to keep up.  (L)

               Much the same as I felt about the Saints game going in. Don't see how we can keep up with them. All I can do is hope for the same "surprise". I have to call this a probable loss, at this point.

              @ Houston - This looked like a tough game in week 1, but once again, they have fallen apart as the season has progressed. This one should be easier than I had anticipated.  (W)

               Umm ... did you see Case Keenum last week? Yeah, I know they lost. But they played very tough against the Colts until their Coach went down at half time. Let's see how they "rally" for him in the next 3 games against mediocre (or worse) competition in the next 3 weeks. Still looks like a tough one in Houston to me; but I do think we can come away with another close loss, a bit higher scoring than the Panthers game.

              Cleveland - This one looks about as winable as it did at the begining of the season. Jason Cambell seems to have breathed a little life into them, but definitely beatable at Gillette.  (W)

               I agree here. At Gillette, the Patriots should be able to get a win over the Browns.

              @ Miami - I felt they were the only team that could possibly give us problems in the division. I think this internal turmoil they are going through will leave a mark, and they will fade. Even in Miami, I call this a win.  (W)

               The way the Phins react to the incredible distraction of their locker room situation will be interesting to watch. Will they pull together as "underdogs" now? Or will they fold as a divided team? I honestly have no idea. I will say that I believe they'll go one way or the other, as opposed to staying the same. They'll either rise up, like the "camera-gate" Patriots did; or they may not win another game all season. As for the Patriots game, I have to believe that they are still a better team than the Dolphins, under any circumstances. This should be a Patriots win.

              @ Baltimore - I pegged this as a tough game, and possible loss, especially away. Not any more. The Ravens have fallen on hard time, and are a shell of their SB winning selves.  (W)

               Well, they're certainly having trouble moving the ball and scoring. But they're still 10th in the league in Points and Yards allowed per game defensively, and they have a formidable pass rush that knows how to beat Brady. Now add that by the time we get out to Week 16, this game is: likely to be their "Super Bowl" for 2013; played in their house; played against  a team they know how to beat (won the last 2) - a team that they HATE, which MAY, depending upon so many things from now to then, be playing for HFA in the Playoffs. I think that this is going to be an extremely tough, physical game, Frank. That "shell" of a Ravens team will not play like it in this game, if it means as much to the Patriots as we hope it will. My gut tells me that the Patriots will be sitting with a 1 game lead for the HFA going into this game. I see the possibility of a flat game coming out for the them; vs a highly motivated Ravens team. Yes, I'm afraid I see an upset loss here!

              (And, most disturbingly, the Jets could still be right on our heels for the AFC East title at this point. Seriously, take a look at their remaining schedule: @ BAL; @ BUF; vs MIA; vs OAK; @ CAR; vs CLE; @ MIA. There isn't one game there that is beyond the possibility of a Jets' win. Really. More on that in my next note.)

              Well, there you have it,  13-3.

                I have it at 12-4; which, I believe, will still be good enough for the #2 seed, and a bye for at least Week 1 of the Playoffs. ... One word of caution here. Do NOT count out either the Bengals or the Colts in discussions of the HFA. They could take it to the wire in a race with the Patriots and either the Broncos or Chiefs.

              Hard to believe, if it really falls that way, considering all the off-season change.

               If either of our predictions comes true, I think BB will be a strong candidate for COY ... but will lose it to Andy Reid. I mean, how can you deny that Reid will deserve it, if the Chiefs finish with a record as good as, or better than, Belichick? Certainly, at this point in the season, Reid is COY. It's his to lose.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013

                    ME TOO!!!