The Bad Apple - Incognito

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2013
      Here's a bit more detail on the Martin-Incognito story. If you've followed the NFL closely, you know of Incognito's rep as a dirty player. Now we know how much worse than that he is.

      http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/gerry_callahan/2013/11/callahan_richie_incognito_proves_bad_apple_can_ruin_season

      --- George
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • frankdanabrewster

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2013
          The whole event saddens me, Frank; but most especially disappointing is the racial aspect of it. The world of professional sports is supposed to be one area of life where dependance upon your teammates is so great as to provide a bridge for all races to cross, and ignore everything but the common goal of working together to win.

          I can understand, though certainly not condone, the resentment, mistrust, and even hatred that grows between classes of people. I can understand that such feelings are intensified when those on each side of the chasm have visible differences such as skin color. But I can't understand or forgive racism among people of relatively common economic levels, who, on top of that, share common goals that can lead all parties to great success.

          It's sad, and it's unfortunate for us all.

          On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM, <frank.dana@...> wrote:

[...]

        • David Brunat

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2013
                I have agreement and disagreement here. First of all, I agree that the 300 lb Martin should have been a man, and punched Incognito, rather than walking out on the team. But that wasn't  my point when I made what Dave took as "PC" comments.

                I also totally agree that Philbin should have stepped in when he saw (which he MUST have) the path this hazing/bullying was taking. But, again, that wasn't my point.

                Dave, I see a major difference between the "PC" extremes that have come into society since the 90's. As you  may recall, I grew up in Southie. I went to Southie High. I lived in an environment where ethnic "jokes" were both common and accepted. Threw around a of that myself, among friends; and I still do, in small groups of friends.

                But I draw the line between what I find acceptable, good natured fun - things that nearly everybody but the "PC" folks can laugh at; and truly hard core, hateful, hurtful racial epithets. And I certainly saw a lot of that in the racist Southie of the 50's and 60's, as well. The latter I cannot accept or excuse. And, by the way, when the stuff you talked about goes on during games, I don't put it into that category. It's "gamesmanship" on the field. It's an attempt to distract the opponent from his tactical responsibilities; and is rarely a truly hateful remark.

                I don't consider my comments earlier to be "PC". You know my general political philosophy; and it is very much on the other side of the "PC" crowd. But Incognito's behavior toward a teammate, a rookie that he should be helping to improve his game, is totally unacceptable, IMO. If it is proven that Philbin personally observed any of this, he should be fired.