New N.T.??

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2013

      Thoughts on the new nose tackle we just signed??

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2013
        I noted earlier that I loved the trade for Sopoaga. I like for more than the obvious aid to our current DL situation. That's obvious. The Patriots run defense will be much improved for the rest of this season, with guys to alternate.

        Think about the future. Vince is 31. Sopoaga is 32. Sopoaga has a 3 year contract. Vince has, I believe, 4 more years to go with us. These two aging, but not "over the hill" DTs can now share time, without changing the scheme; keeping both of them fresh throughout a game. When we go to a 4-3, there's now a choice to mix and match from 4 solid inside guys; Vince, Kelly, Sopoaga, and one of the two good looking rookies, Vellano or Chris Jones.

        The interesting question for next season is whether either Vellano or Jones, who currently both look too good to cut, can play DE in spots. The team is unlikely to keep 5 guys who are pure "inside" players, as Vince, Sopoaga, and Kelly clearly are. There are currently 10 DLs on the active roster. One may be released soon, with the addition of Sopoaga; most likely Forston. But 9 is still more than the normal quota of 8 for DLs. So, when Vince comes back next season, there will be some tough choices to make.

        But that's a topic for concern after this season. For now, I love the options that are once again available for BB due to the addition of the "mountain in the middle" NT Isaac Sopoaga. I don't expect to see 150 yards rushing as a standard result against the Patriots going forward.

        --- George
        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.