Hold the Mayo...

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 15, 2013
      Mayo had surgery today for a torn pectoral. Will be out at least 8 weeks.
      The hits just keep on coming...

      http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/10/15/source-jerod-mayo-out-at-least-eight-weeks-after-torn-pectoral-muscle-surgery/

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 15, 2013

        I know….I just read this too.

        Darn it—what have we done wrong to anger the gods?

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 15, 2013
          Looks like we'll see a lot more of Fletcher at LB, as we did late last season. He did well as a replacement; but he's no Mayo.

          So now the team is missing two of the best at their positions in the NFL from the middle of our defense, Wilfork and Mayo, for the rest of the season; and likely one the league's best CBs, Talib, for at least a few weeks. Amendola will almost certainly be gone for a couple of weeks with that concussion, based upon the way he looked being assisted of the field. Connolly's concussion may leave us with a hole at RG for a week or two. Vereen won't be back until around mid-November. Gronkowski remains in consultation with his "inner circle"; and, by the way, if and when he does come back, can we expect anything other than "cautious" play from him, with all he's got in his head from that "inner circle"?

          Yes, despite the 5-1 record, I remain pessimistic about our team's chances for significant success in the post season, if they get there. Lying ahead are back-to-back games against Division rivals that could determine their fate in the AFC East. They still have a reasonably soft schedule for most their remaining games. With 5 games already in the 'Win' column, winning 1/2 of the remaining games doubles that. it's hard to imagine them winning less than 10; and that may get them to the playoffs. But then?

          I can't remember a season when the Patriots have had so many significant starters out of the lineup with injuries. Especially for this week's game against the hated Jets in New Joisey. It's likely that every name I mentioned above could be out for that game. Read the list again: Defense - Wilfork, Mayo, Talib; Offense - Vereen, Amendola, Gronkowski, Connolly.

          The only hope they have is for me to make another prediction of a loss. So, I will. I don't think they can beat the Jets, in the Meadowlands, with the team they'll put on the field this Sunday. Powell and Ivory will run wild inside the tackles. Holmes will chew up Ryan or Arrington (in for Talib). Geno may get more yardage than Powell or Ivory busting loose up the middle from the pocket, or on keepers from the read option. They won't be close enough to be saved by one good series from Brady at the end of the game this time. The Jets defense is for real; and will keep the struggling, "spit and chewing gum" Patriots offense under wraps all day; with lots of pressure on Brady, and tight coverage on whoever the hell can make it onto the field as receivers.

          --- George
          Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

          On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM, <frank.dana@...> wrote:

          Mayo had surgery today for a torn pectoral. Will be out at least 8 weeks.
          The hits just keep on coming...

          http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/10/15/source-jerod-mayo-out-at-least-eight-weeks-after-torn-pectoral-muscle-surgery/

            Mayo had surgery today for a torn pectoral. Will be out at least 8 weeks.
            The hits just keep on coming...

            http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/10/15/source-jerod-mayo-out-at-least-eight-weeks-after-torn-pectoral-muscle-surgery/

            fdb

          • frankdanabrewster