Why do they do this...

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013

      Patriots have signed FA, DT Andre Neblett to the 53 man roster. Why would they sign a FA off the street in week 6 of the season, when they have a DT (Forston) on the PS, who has been with the team since camp. I see them do this quite often, and I don't get it. I thought the PS was the reserve to fill holes in the roster, should they occur, or replace underperformers. Do all teams do this?

      fdb

    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013
        Because the PS is limted to players that don't have a lot of experience (under 3 years and a limted numbers of games active with any team).  Neblett has experience ... the two undrafted Free Agents that are already on the roster don't.

        Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Patriots have signed FA, DT Andre Neblett to the 53 man roster. Why would they sign a FA off the street in week 6 of the season, when they have a DT (Forston) on the PS, who has been with the team since camp. I see them do this quite often, and I don&apos;t get it. I thought the PS was the reserve to fill holes in the roster, should they occur, or replace underperformers. Do all teams do this?

        fdb
      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013

          Thanks for the explanation, Mark. Yeah, I knew there were some limitations, but I didn't know the details. I guess my concern is that Forston HAS experience in our system - he could step right in. Neblett does not. Such a move would make more sense in pre-season. But I suppose it's not as bad as it would be with a WR, as far as the learning curve is concerned.

          fdb

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013
            IMO either would have been better than having Jake Bequette at Nose Tackle on a crucial fourth and goal!  The Bengals ran over him like they were a steamroller.