Does not bode well...

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

      Nothing good coming out of that loss to Cincy.

      The O-line was attrocious, especially Solder.

      If Kelly is out for any length of time, we will have no experience in the interior D-line.

      This group of receivers looked awful. Wet ball or not, too many drops.

      I didn't hear the names Chandler Jones or Rob Ninkovich once yesterday.

      We need Gronk. Solder is not Vrabel in the red zone.

      A note about Brady's 'body language'. I recall when Moss was here, every time the camera went to Brady, he and Moss were engaged in an animated manner. The same with him and Welker, after Moss left. Almost every time they've shown him on the sidelines this season, he seems to be by himself, with his head down. He's occasionally looking at pix with McDaniels, but never coaching up his receivers. If anything, they need it more than Moss did. He can't boost his receivers' morale (and performance) by acting like the season is lost. Anyone else interpret it that way?

      fdb

    • patfan1

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013
          I'm with you on every point, Frank. I said last week that I do not like what I'm seeing of Brady this season. There is no question in my mind that he simply is not throwing the ball consistently with the zip and accuracy he used to. I said that I hate to think that he may be on the downside; but, with games like we just saw, it's hard not to begin to think it to be true.

          I know that there are 11 games to go. I know that the team is 4-1. But I haven't seen anything from this offense - any element of this offense - that fills me with confidence that it can take this team to anything beyond one playoff game; IF it can even go that far.

          OK. I"ll say it. The era of Patriots greatness may, indeed, have passed.

          --- George
          Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

              AND, would aging Peytie Pie (his mom still calls him that) do as well right now with what little Brady has to work with?

              I’d tend to say probably not either….

              I also noticed the head down stance that Brady exhibited. Natural reaction of disappointment? Yes….professional? No….as hard as it is for him right now, he’s got to find a way to step up and take charge.

              From what I’ve read, the young players really look up to him in the league and he needs to suck it up and go forward from here. At 4-1—shaky as it is--, it’s still a good start and if we get those players back I think the season is still doable.

              Even with the scoring, you could say that the Broncos aren’t all that either…they’ve only played losing teams so far (well maybe not yesterday, that was harsh) and one two games were close.

              I sort of wonder about the Colts now….4-1 as well, are they on the rise again with Luck? New to the league, he was on that TV list of top 10 QBs wearing the number 12.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

                  Yesterday the loss stung because I didn’t see any of that coming, but today I’m reflecting and trying to turn it over in my mind.

                  It’s not the lost itself that bugs me so much because we ARE 4-1 and every team is going to lose some games (except ’72 Fish and us in 07/08).

                  I don’t want it to be the end of the Brady era (as if it’s my choice, huh)—he’s too good to be in this pathetic situation.

                  Some of it is due to the chips falling where they may, but he’s got to rise above that and be the same fired up guy we’ve seen so often.

                  But who’s responsible for those chips? Kraft, Bill B., the players, what? How can they change it and get back to where they belong?

                  To waste him and his talents this year would just be a crime, in my opinion……sigh. Then we get the 5-0 Saints.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013
                    There's been a lot of talk about "body language" on the sidelines. How about body language in the pocket?

                    Take a look at some replays of Brady in the last game. He simply does not look "composed and confident" in the pocket. He's got happy feet on nearly every pass that has longer routes; and looks "rushed", rather than "crisp", on the quick passes.

                    Compare that to Manning in the game against the Cowboys. He's standing tall, and either checking the entire field on longer routes; or sharply snapping off a throw on the short routes.

                    Whatever the reasons, Brady simply isn't Brady any more. He looks like a nervous rookie back there.

                    That said, overall, I feel that this season, which, trust me, will not end in the Super Bowl, was lost in the off season by the personnel mis-management of Belichick. The team simply lost too much at one time. It's unreasonable to expect a team to play at a championship level with as much turnover as happened with the Patriots this year.

                    On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM, <frank.dana@...> wrote:

                    Good points, Susan. It works both ways. Manning would not be in the situation he is in with our receivers. And Brady has to remain professional, and motivate these kids. If the young ones lose faith in him, this will definitely be a wasted season, and perhaps the end of the 'Brady era'.

                    fdb

                    AND, would aging Peytie Pie (his mom still calls him that) do as well right now with what little Brady has to work with?

                    I’d tend to say probably not either….

                    I also noticed the head down stance that Brady exhibited. Natural reaction of disappointment? Yes….professional? No….as hard as it is for him right now, he’s got to find a way to step up and take charge.

                    From what I’ve read, the young players really look up to him in the league and he needs to suck it up and go forward from here. At 4-1—shaky as it is--, it’s still a good start and if we get those players back I think the season is still doable.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2013

                      Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist….just a thought because there are many people out there in all sports that do that, just for an measure of “handling” the pressure or situations.

                      He’s a good player and a highly paid professional, but also human. Personally, I think that someone in his position does need to just suck it up at each game and stand tall as PP does.

                      Is it easier said than done? I don’t know…

                      You’re probably right about the Super Bowl but we’ve also seen stranger things happen. I’m sure the Giants fans knew their season was over at one point and we know how that went.

                      Also, there was a list in the paper about the teams since 1990 that have gone 1-3 as a start and how each turned out—how do they think that stuff up? The only one that either made it to the Super Bowl or won was our 2001 team.

                      We had different players then, but at that point we probably thought it was over and here we are NOW at 4-1.

                      Do you think that it was mostly BB’s fault during the off-season? IF so, why did he put us in such a bind? How much does the owner have to do with it?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8, 2013

                          Brady looked nervous because his offensive line looked like a sieve.  Solder alone gave up two easy sacks.  Even when they did hold the line his receivers were often out of position or dropped the ball.  The game is won and lost on the line and both the offensive and defensive lines lost the battle over all this game.  That said this is not the Brady of old no doubt about it and the defensive line gets a pass because the offense left them out there for far too much time.  As to Manning it is easy to look confident when you have a cadre of veteran receivers, TEs, and offensive linemen who aren’t allowing you to be planted on your back frequently.

                          Don

[...]

                          < p class="MsoNormal">

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 8, 2013

                            Could be….I think that’s what the Lakers are doing this year. Hoping for next year’s draft and free-agent group.

                            Kobe is exactly one year younger than Brady, so who knows if they’ll get another championship with him.

                            The execs here seem to be a little more verbal than BB is.

                            Wish Kobe could get that 6th ring and Brady his 4th ring before they both take an exit from pro sports.

                            Sorry, most of you guys are probably Celts fans!

                            I’m thinking that this year is not even close to being done….I’m going to stick with it and hope it picks up with Gronk and Amendola.

                            I mean, who knows who is going to win the Super Bowl or get to the playoffs at all???

                            There was only ONE in the past that I knew was going to win…the 1986 Chicago Bears.