Re: [patriotzip] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Jets)

  • David Brunat
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2013
      First, congrats on the kids game.  The real question is can he catch and learn the Pats playbook.

      One good you missed was Ridley crushing the ball because he gripped it so hard.

      Im hoping that the poor performance of the offense will finally light a fire under our defense and get them back to the toughness that won us superbowls.  You can't win if you can't score.

      The BrewGnat

      Sent from my iPad

      On Sep 17, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "Levine, David" <david-levine@...> wrote:

      Short one this week.

      The Good
      - Last time I checked, a one point win looking bad is the same in the standings as a 40 point win while looking great. We are 2 and 0 in our division and that is all that matters.
      - The D is stepping up in the absence of a consistent O. The run D and the pass D is much improved over last year.
      - Aquib Talib had a fantastic game. He made the INTs but also provided solid cover ability.
      - Fonzie Dennard had a solid game too. He was in tight coverage all night.
      - Edleman stepped up in the absence of everyone. This is 2 games in a row where he looked really good.
      - Gotta give props to the other number 50. My son, playing middle linebacker and defensive captain, had a stellar game for the Portland Middle School team. In the first half, he had 5 tackles (1 on special teams), a fumble recovery and a blocked punt in the end zone for a safety. He also played great at OG, opening a couple of big holes for the running backs. He was the caravan for the RB on a 40 yard TD run. He, along with all the starters, were pulled at the half after jumping out to a 4 TD lead. Best game of his short career by far. He was all over the field making plays. I am one proud papa. Team is 3-0-1 with 4 to play.

      The Bad
      - We were without our top 4 options when headed into this year. Gronk, Hernandez, Amondola and Vereen were all going to be relied upon heavily in the passing game and none were available for the game. We still ended up pulling out a victory while getting the youngins a taste of the big time.
      - We seemed out of sync all night. I will blame the WRs for some of the issues but it also looked like Tom wasn't quite right either. There were times when guys were open and he just flat out missed. There were times when the WR would have been open if they had run the right route.
      - The weather was down-right bad. That was a whole lot of rain that made the conditions terrible.

      The Ugly
      - Dashon Goldson is suspended for another helmet to helmet hit. He is appealing but he should be suspended. He constantly flaunts the rules and this is his 15th personal foul penalty in the past 3 years. That is too much.
      - I hate to say it but Meriwether had it coming. Every tackle he makes, he lowers his head and tries to hit hard. The first play he actually gave the RB a concussion. The second, he gave it to himself. Did the same thing a couple of times as a Pat and I thought it was dirty then too. Maybe it will teach him to keep his head up. I went to a concussion seminar last night and they said the number 1 way to prevent a concussion in sports is through proper technique. Makes sense to me.
      - Utter collapse by a couple of teams in the closing minutes to take losses. TB blew it big time.
      - Yes, Talib should have stepped out of bounds on the final INT and he certainly danced way too much but that was no cause for the blatant low hit. That lead to a scrum where 2 NYJ were ejected, one for a punch (clearly caught on camera) and one for throwing an official (saw the ref go down but couldn't see what happened). All 3 should be heavily fined. This hitting at the knees has to stop.

        Dave

    • Levine, David
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013
        The Good
        - Gronk looked good. He is a playmaker that we desperately need.
        - Brady is back on the injured list with a shoulder injury. We should be all set for the rest of the year.
        - Both Joneses are playing great.
        - Edelman is one of the most dynamic punt returners in the game and is a real weapon for us.
        - McCourty continues to shine. Even moving to CB, he continues to play solid defense, saving a sure TD in the 3rd quarter.
        - The D continues to play well, even without the playmakers who are hurt. Holding a team to 20 offensive points in regulation should get us a win.
        - The O looked great in the first half and then we did something different and sucked in the 2nd.

        The Bad
        - I am getting tired of us hitting instead of tackling. They need to get back to basics. Wrap up and tackle. Don't lower your head and hit.
        - How many guys can we lose and remain competitive? Wilfork and Mayo, both captains and studs at their positions are done. Talib, our best defensive player to date missed the game. Kelly who was playing great missed the game. Amendola and Washington both didn't play.
        - Brady is off. He missed many throws that he normally makes. Yes you can blame some on the receivers but overthrowing 3 wide open guys is on number 12.
        - Hightower is a huge liability in coverage. We need to do something quick. Maybe we need to go with a smaller, faster LB to help.
        - Why can't we run for a first down in the "and 1" situations? It makes no sense that with the OL we have, a smart QB to pick the right play and a solid RB that we can't run for a yard when we need to.
        - We can't win if we don't convert on 3rd down. May as well play Canadian football and punt after 2nd
        - We get the ball to start OT and we can't even sniff FG range. Terrible.
        - There is something going on with the OL. Dante has to step in and get them back to basics. Too many breakdowns are forcing 2nd or 3rd and long which we can't convert.
        - We need to get off the field when we force a 3rd and long. I am tired of the other team converting 20 yard plays to get another set of downs.

        The Ugly
        - I don't care if it the right call or not. There is no way you make the pushing call in overtime. The refs should have done the right thing and told BB about the complaint instead of changing the outcome and calling the bogus penalty. Even more curious is that the NFL took down the written and video explanation which included the verbiage about 2nd level. They are covering up something. No call when the Jets did the same thing at the end of the 4th quarter either.
        - Merriweather is suspended for another illegal hit. How can it be reduced though? He is a repeat offender and needs to be punished. He played dirty when he was here and continues now that he is on another team.

        Dave
      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013

           Good observations, as always.

          Tannahill was listed as Limited with a shoulder Wednesday and Thursday. Then Tom shows up Limited with a shoulder on Thursday. Mere coincidence? But of course it could explain why he has been erratic.

          Yes, "the call" was correct, but the timing was suspicious. I'm sure it has happened numerous time in the 400+ place kicks this year, and apparently even in this game. Call it in the 1st quarter of a week 2 game, to send the message that it will be enforced.

          Idealy, Collins would be the LB in coverage. He has the athleticism, but not the experience. I heard it suggested that Ninko go back to that spot. Maybe that has something to do with the Carter signing.

          fdb

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013

            Thanks Dave, as usual!

            Do you think that Brady will be okay for the game?

            Also, what do you think that the NFL is trying to cover up with the penalty situation?