Patriots Roster Prediction prior to Game Pre-season game 4

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2013

      Patriots 53 Man Roster Projection Prior to Pre Season Game 4                                              26 Aug 2013

      Offense (23)
      Quarterback: (2) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
      Tebow experiment over ... wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky Stanzi brought in fora look see for Thursday.
      Running Back: (4) Steven Ridley, Shane Vereen, LaGarrette Blount, Brandon Bolden
      Our ST stink and keeping Washington just to return the few kicks that are not kicked out of the end zone is a waste.  Blount surprised the hell out of me!  Wouldn't be surprised to see Bolden traded.
      Wide Receiver: (5) Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, Josh Boyce, Julian Edelman
      The three rookies have stood out all pre-season!
      Tight End: (4) Michael Hoomanawanui, Zack Sudfeld, Jake Ballard, Rob Gronkowski*
      Gronk will make the final 53 and probably put on the revocable IR and brought back later in the season.    Hooman can fill in at FB which gets him the nod over Fells and Devlin(FB).  Fells should be traded given the dearth of TEs in the league.
      Tackle: (3) Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Will Svitek
      Guard: (4) Logan Mankins, Marcus Cannon, Josh Kline, Connolly
      Center: (1) Ryan Wendell
      Right now I have Connolly making the team, but wouldn’t be surprised if he was cut because of his “starters “ salary ($3M).  Zuzevics to IR isa surprise.
      Defense (26)
      Defensive Ends: (5) Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Marcus Benard, Jermaine Cunningham, Justin Francis
      Say goodbye to Bequette … Francis, Bernard and Cunninghame can play DT also.  Buchanan to PS.
      Defensive Tackles: (3) Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Joe Vellano
      Vellano beats out Forston who has PS elegibility.  Only keeping 8 DL with Armond Armstead (on NFI) ready to contribute week 7.
      Linebackers: (6) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont’a Hightower, Dane Fletcher, Jamie Collins, Jeff Tarpinian.
      Steve Beauharnais has had a nice run but he is way too slow to contribute on special teams and in pass coverage.  He is even slower than Spikes.  Beauharnais to ST
      Cornerbacks: (6) Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard **, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole, Justin Green
      Safeties: (6) Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner, Kanoriss Davis
      Adrian Wilson has lost it.  He badly overran the screen pass and his reactions and speed is very slow.  He is nothing more than a 3rd down S as a LB in coverage against TE’s.  Ebner can do that and contribute on ST.  ** Dennard may end up suspended or in jail.  Davis replaces A. Wilson
      Special Teams: (4)
      Kicker: Stephen Gostkowski
      Punter: Zoltan Mesko or Paul Allen
      Long Snapper: Danny Aiken
      ST Ace: Matthew Slater

      Final Prediction on Friday

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2013

         I like your logic, Mark. We pretty much agree on offense. With Gronk on the field, running routes now, they may just remove him from PUP, if they think he'll be ready by week 3 or 4.

        Don't know anything about Josh Kline. Is there a reason you selected him over Chris McDonald?

        I thought Forston looked pretty good so far. Some tough calls on D-line.

        Funny about Beauharnais. Watching his college highlights, half the plays were picks or PDs. Looked like he had a good nose for the ball in coverage. Doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL, of course.

        Ebner over A. Wilson probably makes sense. I'm probably giving too much weight to reputation. I really haven't seen Wilson do much. Ebner has been pretty active. Don't recall seing much of K. Davis. Probably just not paying attention. :o)

        fdb