Deep

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2013
      That's how the Patriots should bury the tape of this game ... DEEP!!

      The only good thing that can be said about it is ... Kenbrell Thompkins.

      That's all I can bring myself to say about this otherwise horrific performance.

      --
      --- George

    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2013

         First team D had good pressurem and held Detroit to 1TD in 4 red-zone visits. I think that was a positive. The offense put them in some pretty bad situation, but they held up well.

        But yes, it was pretty much a disaster. You know in the back of his mind, BB liked it. It serves to humble some of the young kids who may think they have it made, after two pretty good wins.

        Biggest topics this week - ball security (no kidding) and the O-line. Run blocking was non-existant. Pass protection wasn't much better.

        Watch the film... yes, then bury it...

        fdb

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2013
          Right on all counts, Frank. After sleeping on it, I do have to credit the D #1s with a job well done. In particular, Ninko (as the Detroit announcers said, "He's been everywhere all night!"), and the secondary (although I think a bad game by Stafford contributed to that).

          I'll also add that, in limited work, Blount was solid again, though not outstanding. He at least got them off of the goal line after Detroit's "lucky bounce" punt. Bolden's fumble puts him further behind my "Comeback Player of the Year" candidate for the last RB spot, if BB only keeps 4. (Although he played well otherwise.) And, despite the fumble, Sudfeld again looked like a sure starter at the start of the season, assuming Gronk is out for a couple of games (or more). I also liked Dobson's work. He made a couple of tough catches. ... (I wish we'd get to see a bit more of Boyce, who did make a couple of nice receptions.)

          So, overall, perhaps the best takeaway from this one is that the new receiving corps still appears to be ready for prime time. All 4 members of the "Kiddie Korps", Sudfeld, Thompkins!, Dobson and Boyce played pretty well. (Is this going to be a record of some kind - 4 rookie pass receivers on the opening day roster?)

          The "Goat of the Game" award has to go to Vollmer. He was terrible throughout the first half in this one. A regular revolving door in pass "protection"; and little more than a blocking dummy in the run game. Back still a problem???

          The #2 D was another nightmare bad enough to get "dishonorable mention"!

          BB should have sent most of the team home on a bus. One bus!

          It was interesting to note that Tebow didn't play at all. I'm still suggesting that it would be best for the team to cut him, and keep one from among FB Develin, RB Bolden, or CB Green in that 53rd roster spot. (My choice would be Develin.) Any of those 3 can make a much greater contribution to the team, over the course of 16+ games, than could Tebow.

          --
          --- George
          Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.