A Confidence Booster

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9 11:18 PM
      Bottom line right at the top. My confidence in the Patriots prospects for 2013 was definitely boosted a bit by this first preseason game. I'm posting my thoughts before reading what others have to say. Then I can make a comparison of our thoughts.

      The precision with which the #1s operated in those first two series showed me everything I had hoped for. The running game was simply outstanding; and, in the second series, it was the passing game that did most of the work for the TD. Meanwhile, the D, minus the one big play mistake by Talib, was solid enough, although not outstanding.

      My key "player points":

      * Brady was about as sharp as I've ever seen him. Quick reads and releases; and right on target.
      * Ridley looked like a top 5 RB. He ran with power, nice jump moves to find holes, and his usual adequate speed.
      * LeGarrette "He can't play STs" Blount is everything I expected him to be for this team. He definitely makes the team, and gets a lot of carries all season. Bolden's gone.
      * Vereen, IMO, will exceed anything that Woodhead did for us.
      * Thompkins was very impressive, making 4 catches on that 2nd TD drive, both inside and outside. Very nice. How does that talent go undrafted? He's a keeper.
      * Dobson made a nice catch in traffic; but did drop one from Mallet that he should have had. Had a couple of other opportunities that Mallet and Tebow blew with poor throws.
      * I see why Fells was getting such good press from practices. Three nice receptions; and, like Thompkins, both inside and outside.
      * Fells competitors also did well. Very nice catch and run by Sudfeld on the outside; and Hoomanawanui looked really good at the blocking FB position.
      * We saw some nice pressure up the middle from Kelly. He's going to be a good fit on the DL.
      * Fletcher played very effectively at LB from the moment he went into the game. A solid backup there.
      * Hightower looked more active than he did in most games last year. Looks like he's "getting it".
      * Edelman still has it on PRs; and Washington gets to the 20 on KRs much faster than anyone they've had back there in years. Return game looks solid!
      * Tebow kept every pass he threw inside the stadium, once he decided to throw it. ;-)  Yeah, he can run. QB? Not in this league. Not as a regular.
      * I think Justin Green showed enough to possibly grab Marquise Cole's spot in the DB group. I hope so. Cole couldn't cover me!
      * Logan looked OK, despite that badly missed tackle on the quick out pass. Otherwise, he tackled well,, and his coverage was not bad.
      * Looks like our DL backups will be all F'd up ... Forston and Francis both looked like solid backups.
      * I saw a couple of nice plays from Bequette and Vega as well. But not enough to lock up a spot for either of them just yet.
      * Collins is really quick! Some nice pursuit moves from outside to in, hitting ball carriers from behind. Encouraging debut.
      * Ghost 1 for 3 on FGs? Not time to panic, but ... what's up with that?
      * Punting duel looked like a draw to me. Tough decision to be made there. Maybe that "left foot spin" still gives Mesko the edge; but Allen looks like an NFL punter.

      Overall, the most encouraging thing for me was the effectiveness of the passing game with Brady throwing to Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Fells and Sudfeld. That had me breathing a short term sigh of relief, since it was probably the biggest question in my mind going into the preseason games.
      Most discouraging thing was that, while there was a reasonable amount of pressure on the QBs, it was nowhere near what I'm hoping for throughout the season.

      Those are my primary thoughts. Comments are, as always, most welcomed.
      Now let me go see what others have said so far.
      --
      --- George
    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10 9:05 AM
        Nice wrap up of the pre-season game ... Blount surprised the hell out of me ... no one saw that train coming!  Blount did play on KO return.  I wouldn't count Bolden as gone yet.  Tebow isn't a lock to make this team.  Tebow's value may be as a scout QB mimicking the large number of run and shoot option QBs in the league right now.

        Mallette missed a wide open Boyce for a TD.  It looked like it was Mallettes fault, especially after the way he reacted.

        2nd team OL had guys like Patterson playing.  This guy was signed on Monday and is playing considerable minutes on Friday.  Mallette and Tebow cannot be faulted for the poor play of the 2nd (I don't think they had enough healthy bodies for a 3rd team) OL.  They were swiss cheese there were so many holes.

        I actually didn't think tha Coles played badly.  Tavon Wilson on the other hand, may be playing himself right off the team.

        Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10 11:39 AM
          Unfortunately, I didn't see much of the game. These were my biggest take-aways, from the little I saw...

          Looks like our run game may have improved. That would be a great help for Brady. Ridley, Vereen, and Blount all performed well. Blocking up front looked solid.

          I missed his two series, but it sounds like Brady was pretty much lights out. Yes, it looks like a lot of people we catching the ball. Just the way Brady likes it. Showing confidence in all the new guys. I didn't see Hooman, but Fells was impressive catching the ball.

          Gotta watch the D more closely next time. DBs still looked a little shaky, from what I saw, though I know we were playing mostly new guys and rookies. Just wait 'till Dowling gets back! LOL! Line play did look pretty good. They did generate some pressure a few times.

          Hope I'm home to see the whole game next time. :o)

          fdb

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10 7:51 PM
            AHEM! "Blount surprised the hell out of me ... no one saw that train coming!" Mark, I've had Blount making this team, and making a significant contribution, since the day the Patriots signed him. 250 pounds, with power, speed, and moves. He was just not happy in Tampa. Some similarities, IMO, to the Corey Dillon situation in Cincinnati. Both felt that they were playing for teams that had virtually no chance of winning; and both were less than happy with their coaches. With his attitude in the right place, he's a LOAD! Unlike Dillon, Blount is still young. He may be a significant player for the Patriots for several years, and may be competing with Ridley for the #1 spot.

            Completely agree on Tebow, and his probable value, if any.

            Also have to agree on T. Wilson. I have high hopes for him; but he'll have to step up his play big time to make it happen.
            --
            --- George

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12 9:05 AM
              Are the new rules about RBs lowering their heads going to adversely affect power backs, like Blount? In order to assert yourself at the LOS in short yardage situations, one would normally lower one's shoulder, to push defenders back. You can't lower your shoulder without lowering your head. Just wonderin' how that's gonna work.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12 6:34 PM
                They are allowed to lower their heads within 2 yards of the LOS, Frank. It's beyond that, and outside the tackles, that it's prohibited.

                I do think, however, that it's going to be tough for all ball carriers to avoid doing that when they're going straight into a tackler. It's just instinctive. I suspect that the officials will be very conservative in making that call. It will take an obvious "charge" to draw the flag. At least, I hope that will be the case.
                --
                --- George

              • frankdanabrewster
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13 3:39 AM