Re: [patriotzip] After Brady ... What?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 7:21 AM
      Hmmm. I wasn't aware that the problem was so severe, Steve. If that continues throughout this season, my opinion would most definitely change.

      It's very difficult for a young man to handle significant fame. I thought that Manziel was doing much better at it than you've reported from his home state. Clearly, I have to pay a bit more attention to what goes on off the field with this kid during this season. Maybe we need to put this question aside until we see how he handles life between now and next April.

      I agree with you that we do not want an immature "celebrity" on our team.
      --
      --- George

      On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Steve Basile <avatar@...> wrote:

      I'll chime in with a Texas perspective.  Manziel may be a helluva football player and a great college QB, but the over under on months till he wrecks a car, kills someone or is involved in an alcohol-related assault is in low double digits.  Frankly, I believe Mr. Manziel has a drinking problem and as a publican with many (recovering) alcoholic friends I believe I know the signs.

      He drinks too much, he tweets about it too much and posts Instagram pics of it.  He bailed on kids who spent hours waiting to see him in Manning's Summer Football Camp because he was too hungover.  At the very least this shows callousness,  a penchant for illegal behavior, a disregard for the rules, and piss poor judgement.  He is 20, now and this has been going on for years.  He knows the Aggie coaches and AD are powerless, because he IS their franchise QB.  A&M tried to suspend him once and was overturned.

      He's 20. Drinking is still illegal, even though I am well aware that many of us, including me, drank alcohol before reaching the drinking age. But...we are all not Heisman Trophy winners, about to embark on another year of college, a season of highly competitive NCAA football (ostensibly with on and off-field rules rules of conduct) and the NFL Draft, along with the possibility of a multi-million dollar contract with a team who expects us to perform at a professional level for 5-10 years. He is. He drinks too much, and tweets and posts photos about it too much. He has shown horrible judgement at least in that regard, and if he doesn't have the beginnings of an alcohol problem, I don't own a bar.

      In NINE MONTHS he is likely to be in the NFL Draft. At 20, he has a lot of growing up to do, but he is by no means a lost cause, IF he seeks treatment or counseling.  We do not need a problem child on the roster.

      He was seeIng a therapist, working on how he deals with pressure (by drinking, it would appear) but quit.  The pressure at the A&M level is light years beneath that of the NFL.  How long before someone (coach? athletic director? parent?) with a spine drags this talented, entitled self-possessed punk with an alcohol problem into a room and says "wake the hell up! Stop drinking and partying and tweeting and act like you want to be in the NFL!"

      His star is not quite as bright in Texas.

      Baze

      Sent from an oddly attractive but flat device lacking a keyboard.

      On Jul 31, 2013, at 7:05 AM, George Richman <patswingr@...> wrote:

      Just wondering how you folks would feel about the idea of our Patriots trading, literally, whatever it would take, to get in position to draft Johnny Manziel next year. From what I've seen of this guy, he may have what it takes to become the best QB in the NFL for many years. I know that Brady says: "I feel better than I ever have." I also know that most of share my great love and respect for him as the best QB ever to wear a Patriots uniform. But, let's face it, he'll be 36 when the season starts. IMO, NOW is the time to get serious about the next long term QB for our team.

      If, as I suggested above, Johnny Manziel is going to be the best QB in the NFL for most of the rest of this decade, and much of the next one; do you really want him to play for another team? I don't.

      I don't think this kid is the next Ryan Leaf. I think he's the real deal.

      So, as we prepare to watch the question that is the 2013 season unfold, what are your thoughts about the QB position for the years beyond it?

      --
      --- George