Opening week 53?

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2013
      OK, camp has started, so who wants to take a shot at what the opening week roster will look like. Here's my first shot. I have them going young (easy to do with all the rookies in camp). I'm sure you guys with more insight will shoot a lot of holes in it. :o) Have at it!

      fdb

      QB (3);
      No surprises here. I think they have a plan for Tebow.
      Brady
      Mallet
      Tebow

      RB (5);
      They may go with 4, selecting Blount or Bolden. I think they go with 5, and keep everyone fresh.
      Ridley
      Vereen
      Blount
      Bolden
      Washington

      WR (6);
      Without AH, they go back to a more conventional WR based offense.
      Amendola
      Dobson
      Boyce
      Edelman
      Jenkins
      Thompkins

      TE (4);
      I have them going young here. Sudfeld and Ford have too much talent to let them get away. Fells and Hooman are just average.
      Gronkowski
      Ballard
      Sudfeld
      Ford

      OL (8);
      Pretty much intact from last season (which is a good thing).
      Mankins
      Wendell
      Connolly
      Solder
      Vollmer
      N. McDonald
      Cannon
      Svitek

      DL (7);
      CFL alum and a rookie make the team. Bequette never got it.
      Wilfork
      Jones
      Francis
      Armstead
      Kelly
      Ninkovich
      Buchanan

      LB (6);
      More youth and speed with Collins and Beauharnais (whom I will pick as the surprise rookie this year).
      Mayo
      Hightower
      Collins
      Spikes
      Fletcher
      Beauharnais

      CB (6);
      Someone may take Dennards place if he is... umm... not available.
      Talib
      Dennard
      Arrington
      Dowling
      Ryan
      Cole

      S (5);
      Gregory's a bubble guy, but he has experience.
      McCourty
      A. Wilson
      T. Wilson
      Gregory
      Harmon

      ST (3);
      I left Slater out, but he could be added as a ST guy only. Too many WRs to list him there. I don't think he makes it this year.
      Gostkowski
      Mesko
      Aiken
    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2013
        Nice early pre-season selections ... I disagree with few areas:  Not sure they keep Tebow unless he can provide value in areas other than QB; 4 RB's and let Blount and Bolden battle it out.  My bet is on Bolden because Blount won't play special teams; Slater is a team captain and pro bowl player... he makes it ove Cole;  Cunningham over Buchanan with both Bequette and Buchanan on PS; Look out for Kamar Aiken rather than Thompkins ... lost in the opening of training camp hoopla yesterday was the fact that Aiken was running with the 1's yesterday and looked pretty good.

        Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2013
          Thanks, Mark. Your probably right about Cunningham over Buchanan. He's been hot and cold, but he knows the system. He can be frustrating. Just when you think he's going to break out, he seems to disappear again.

          I've been reading the same stuff about Kamar Aiken. He could be a surprise.

          I like Slater, but he would take a roster spot for ST only. With all the WRs in camp, he's not going to break that log jam. I think a lot depends upon what happens with Dennard (who has been spectacular in practice so far, from what I've read). You put Slater in, in place of Cole, and then Dennard goes away for a while, and you get pretty thin at CB.

          Time will tell...

          fdb

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2013
              Hell, Slater could probably play DB as well as Cole does. :-) Obviously, I am not a Cole fan. I'd hope that one of the rookies (Brandon Jones, Stephon Morris, Justin Green), or Ebner could show enough on STs and at DB to push him out.

              Mark and I agree on the Blount/Bolden fight for the #4 RB spot; but we disagree on the outcome. I think Blount is good as a power back to be beaten out for that job; plus, as I said, I think Bolden's off season choices hurt him with BB.

              And Mark and I also appear to agree that the last spot on the DL figures to be a real dog fight. I'd add Vega to Bequette, Cunningham, and Buchanan as the guys at the top of that battle. No idea who'll win.

              Gonna be fun to watch these battles throughout camp. We should have an organized "observation plan" for those able to attend. One person assigned to each of the most competitive units: WR, DL, LB, DB. Any volunteers (Mark?) to try to set up some kind of rotation for that? It would be great to get observations from different observers for each unit, rather than "hit and miss" comments on big plays, etc.. We'll all know in a month, of course; but some observation based predictions from people who know the game would be nice, as we go along.

              --
              --- George

            • Ed Bryant
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2013
                Although there is always someone on the 53 man roster for the first game who was not on the 53 man roster when NE P cut to 53 a week or so earlier, those of you thinking about the bottom of the roster should remember defensive backs Matthew Slater and Julian Edelman.

                Neither one is preferred over any real DB's, but both have logged actual time, Slater at safety,  and Edelman at nickel back.

                Cole? He's a good special teams player who didn't impress when forced to play "star," slot cover, nickel, however you term what he did after injuries to others put him on defense last year.

                The Patriots probably have more special teams players on their 90 than do most teams.  Slater, Tarpinian, Koutovides, Edds, Cole, and I'm probably slighting someone.  Bolden plays coverage, which I don't ever see Blount doing.

                We can all agree that the  Pats probably won't keep a backup long snapper in addition to Ninkovich, the former long snapper for the Saints, but a year ago, Aiken's snaps were consistently too high and too far to the right; I think he cost us a couple of FG's last year.

                With the addition of Collins and the return of Fletcher and the arrival of Big Wilson, NE P will play a bit more 3 4 this year than last.  The days of 30 point leads may or may not be gone, but while I think this essentially young defense will improve incrementally this year, I hope we once again have the problem of a defense which gets turnovers with the lead.   Every year, NE P is better on points allowed than yards allowed, and Bill Parcells will tell you they don't give out Yards Allowed W's;  only the ones for scoring more points than the other guys are allowed.

                Our special teams fell to the middle of the league or lower in 2011, and I believe there was improvement last year.  Tracy White was one reason our ST's were good last year, and he's gone.  Matthew Slater is a captain.  One of those Rutgers guys is going to make this team as a special teamer, and I hope they are good enough so that the Pats can trade Cole.

                And, since we open in Buffalo, I suppose it's possible we will release a lawyer on Tuesday and he'll be a Bill by the following Sunday.  I hope it's not me; I would hate to have to root for the Bills, whose last playoff breath was miraculous, but for Tennessee!