Interesting stuff from Bedard about last year's team

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2013
      http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/1028064-bedard-radio-talking-pats-right-now.html#post3457786

      Some highlights:

      Bedard said Gronk just wasn't the same player last year that he
      was the year before. He dealt with numerous injuries throughout
      the yr plus the ankle was never back to full strength. Bedard
      thinks Pats would be smart to PUP Gronk and let him rebuild his
      strength or at least bring him along slowly.

      [snip]

      Bedard believes the IQ of the Pats new WRs will go a long way to
      help them be productive by being where TB expects them to
      be. Dobson, 19 and Boyce, 23, scored well on the Wonderlic and
      Pats stressed football IQ more than usual. He mentioned Taylor
      Price who hadn't been diagnosed with ADHD previously and Pats
      didn't realize it until after a year. Jaguars identified the
      issue quickly and got him on some meds. The Jags are very happy
      with his performance so far.

      [snip]

      Bedard says Brandon Spikes is a perfect MLB for the NFL...15
      years ago. The Pats have been disappointed in Spikes' play & for
      not becoming a stronger leader in the locker room. Bedard thinks
      the locker room got away from BB a little last year and Spikes,
      Deaderick, Love and Lloyd were all a part of the locker room
      issues. Letting Deaderick, Love and Lloyd go was BB cracking the
      whip. Love was better as a backup to VW than Kelly will be but
      Love's personality wasn't right for the Pats. Kelly can be as
      good or better but he has real motor and inconsistency issues.

      [snip]

      Within the NFL the Pats and BB are admired for keeping the
      winning going for so many years. It's the sustained success of
      the Pats that NFL front offices have so much respect for. Bedard
      says this respect is very real.

      [snip]

      On Brandon Lloyd, Bedard says he knows what his psych issue is
      thought to be but he hasn't spoken to the Drs so he's
      uncomfortable saying what he knows about it on the
      radio. Meterperel brought up bipolar and Bedard didn't
      disagree. Bedard said Lloyd was also very impulsive (ADHD) and
      his behavior was at times extremely rude to players and
      coaches. Lloyd's eccentric behavior wasn't conducive to building
      rapport w/ TB.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rich@...
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 2 , May 25, 2013
        Some real insightful stuff, Rich. Bedard is a pro, and always seems to have good info. I tend to agree about Gronk. He's gotta get right before he starts banging his body around. He's been beaten up pretty good in his young career.

        Interesting stuff on the locker room situation. I'd heard about Lloyd's issues, but not the other guys. Maybe BB is asserting himself more this year. I'm sure he got on his assistants about it, if some of these players were getting out of hand.

        fdb